Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tasty local foods  (Read 1050 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Tasty local foods
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42:14 pm »

Minnesota...mmmm, a lot of it is either Scandinavian, or else from other immigrants (Laotian, say).  We're famous for hotdishes/casseroles (and I mean really famous for it), lefse, lutefisk, and thanks to the State Fair, pretty much anything on a stick, but all of that isn't really unique or original to Minnesota.  That said, Honeycrisp apples are definitely a locally-developed thing, courtesy of the state university.

EDIT:
Ah, but that's a raw food and thus not suited for the thread.  I suppose I have nothing else.  SPAM falls under "world-famous" and doesn't qualify, not to mention that it's also a raw ingredient more than a final product.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:46:02 pm by Culise »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:32 pm »

Dutch treat: Haring met uitjes (raw herring with chopped fresh onion)
Sounds disgusting, tastes delicious

How-to obtain:

1) - Go out into the North Sea and catch a herring.
    - gut the fish, but before removing the stomach, make a cut that allows the stomach acid to taint the meat.
    - leave the fish out on the deck for half a day (this allows the stomach acid to tenderize the flesh)
    - remove the backbone and the head (leave the tail)
    - add some fresh onions to the fish
    - grab it by the tail and eat it. Don't eat the tail (give it to your cat)

or

2) travel to the Netherlands and ask for "haring met ui" (herring with onions) in any fish stall. Most supermarkets have it as well, even.
Best when you go to a fish stall in late may to early september, which is when the fish comes in fresh from the ocean. Rest of the year you'll get fish that has been kept in the freezer.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Haring_03.jpg/600px-Haring_03.jpg
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:57:30 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 04:07:24 pm »

Colorado has fresh seafood, too.

Only other somewhat unique things I can think of are buffalo meat and game meats (I'm not sure how common buffalo meat is elsewhere, but it's quite a lot better than beef).
Pages: 1 [2]