Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: installer screens?  (Read 2198 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: installer screens?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 04:09:25 am »

I liked the installer screens that had pieces of concept art. Set the theme for the game proper and you could later, when the game was installed, see how designs had changed during development.

Age of Empires 1 install was pretty neat. A bunch of workers walked on and started building a big marble column.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 07:29:34 am »

Another memorable installer was simcity 4's. It showcased several awesome cities built on it, what was quite handy considering it was one of the first two-CD games to come out and its install time was fucking long
You might be out by a long shot. I had a stack of multi-CD games in the 1990's, years before SC4 came out.

I can think of two triple-CD 90's games I had/have off the top of my head, Diablo 2 was one and this point and click game called Redjack was another.

Baldur's Gate came out in 1998 and was on multiple CDs. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 was also a 1998 multiple CD game. IIRC the switch to CDs happened in the mid 90s and was followed shortly after by multi-CD games, but I don't remember the exact timing, and really it was only some games that were coming on multiple discs. Strategy games were more likely to fit on a single disc, although Red Alert 2, possibly due to all the video cutscenes and such in it, came on 2 CDs in 2000.

Master of Orion 2, for the record, came out in 1996 and was on one CD, whereas in 1994 IIRC games in the US were coming on floppy disks (often multiple floppy disks). Master of Magic is an example (wikipedia also says it came on CD at some point however, but does not appear to clarify when or how).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 08:39:29 am »

I had some game that came on a four CD set, though I can't remember what it was now.  Had this special CD case that opened like a book with a central 'page' so there were a total of four sides...  Are they using multiple blue-rays for games yet?  Only a matter of time...

*plenty* of games that spanned multiple floppies... I think that Windows spanned like 8 floppies back then... WFW at least.  Not including whatever you needed for a 'full' install of dos... 6.22 took like three disks for the full feature set, though you could of course run it from one.

What was Wing Commander?  Like 14 disks or something crazy like that?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 09:28:11 am »

The most number of CDs a game I owned as "Baldur's Gate" at 5. Next up was "Neverwinter Nights" I think at 3 for the base game. The others were games that had a separate install CD along with the play CD.

The most floppy disks I had was for X-Wing which had 5 I think.

::Checks something:: Actually, next for CDs was "Knights of the Old Republic" which came on 4 CDs.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 10:55:05 am »

Oh dear I didn't expect to derail this thread so badly with my uninformed statement about CD counts. The reason is that back then I didn't play a lot of adventure/RPG games, mostly RTS and simulators that always fitted on one CD. For me it was a big deal. Now I declare the CD count subject dead and the thread shall go back to its rails.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 [2]