Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: King's entourage does observe population cap. Since when?  (Read 1040 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
King's entourage does observe population cap. Since when?
« on: March 27, 2015, 05:32:16 am »

Some 10 days after elven caravan and diplomat, my king decided to show up. He brought the liaison with him, but no one else. I was expecting legendary soldiers, to kick start my melee military, so was disappointed. Since I had a save from elf trading, I decided to experiment with population cap. My original population cap was 140/150 (140 pop cap, 150 strict pop cap), and I had 146 dwarves before king come, so thought the lack of entourage was connected to the strict pop cap. So I made changes and waited:
140/160 - as previously, king and liaison only, 148 dwarves total
140/170 - as previously, king and liaison only, 148 dwarves total
150/170 - as previously, king and liaison only, 148 dwarves total
160/170 - 11 dwarves came, including the "noble two", there were 4 legendary soldiers (as a bonus I got an armourer mood the same day), so now I had 157 total
170/180 - 20 dwarves came, including the "noble two", there were 4 legendary soldiers, so now I had 166 total

It is now clear to me the normal population cap rules for migrant waves are observed.  But I remember that king's band was immune to population cap once. When did it change? Was it with strict population cap addition?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: King's entourage does observe population cap. Since when?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:04:30 pm »

Hm. This may explain why I didn't get a king, only an outpost liaison.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:03:27 pm »

Yeah, I asked the same question months ago, but it seemed no one noticed the oddity so I thought it was normal.
I usually got only the king and the liaison when the fort became the mountainhome.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 04:10:36 pm »

Yeah, I asked the same question months ago, but it seemed no one noticed the oddity so I thought it was normal.
I usually got only the king and the liaison when the fort became the mountainhome.

I wasn't around here then because I was adventuring, but I'm almost sure than in early v0.40.x I got king with his bodyguards despite hitting pop cap. So I think this change is relatively fresh, though not very fresh. I wonder whether this is a bug or not, i.e. an intentional change.