Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting rid of chronic stress  (Read 5431 times)

Youbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of chronic stress
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 04:41:49 pm »

@Detharon
I am confused to what is happening. You say in the first post that one of your dwarf is getting more stressed despite the fact that nothing bad happened but you are confirming the contrary just now?
Or are you saying a bad thought slowly increase stress over time while active(instead of being a single,large hit to stress)?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 04:58:57 pm »

I really don't know how anyone is getting these kinds of stress levels, I've got a 9+ year old fortress with over forty inhabitants, and only two have positive stress values at all, the rest range from as high as 0 to as low as -200k+,  The highest is at 11k stress, and has 10 was horrified at witnessing death thoughts.  While my fort is a very nice place to live, I still don't have enough bedrooms for everyone, and I have to keep autodumping corpses from the first cavern layer into my refuse pile to prevent apocalyptic item buildup.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 02:00:47 am »

@Detharon
I am confused to what is happening. You say in the first post that one of your dwarf is getting more stressed despite the fact that nothing bad happened but you are confirming the contrary just now?
Or are you saying a bad thought slowly increase stress over time while active(instead of being a single,large hit to stress)?
As you can see from the screenshots in my first post, stress level had risen, even though the cause wasn't listed at all, and nothing bad (as in, sieges, FB attacks, dwarves dying, etc.) happened, so I assumed that some dwarves might be getting stressed over time for no reason.

But later on I found out that there is a cause - birds are causing it, by interrupting dwarves and causing multiple "vengeful joining an existing conflict..." bad thoughts, that disappear from the log after a week, yet the the resulting stress persists.

However strange it might sound, both my posts are true. Stress levels were rising even though nothing bad was happening, as I did not expect that few flying birds, given enough time, can literally terrorize my dwarves.

yxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 09:36:51 am »

But later on I found out that there is a cause - birds are causing it, by interrupting dwarves and causing multiple "vengeful joining an existing conflict..." bad thoughts, that disappear from the log after a week, yet the the resulting stress persists.

I can confirm this, my dwarft getting waay to stressed by birds....
even the squad get some trauma in station mode ....

on topic:
I made a palace room, with everything masterpiece (door, tablet, throne, cabinet, chest, engraving), and some furniture in gold with gems, and so on...
I assigned the bed it to my most stressed one, and its recovering quite fast, more or less -1k per sleep and eat.(+work)
I set the dwarf to smoth almost that I could, and asigned it to a burrow so she couldn't go outside and get more horrified and conflict emotions.

stress at:
150k - she started to yell and cry on the mayor, and got the red down sign.
250k - she started to walking obliviusly, 3 times after the walking of sorrow, she got depressed (with 265k)

now its in 244k
----------------------------

I got a dwarf with a dream of master a skill, she was in 200k stress, I set she with a lot of work, and she got his legendary, wich bring down his stress to 100k +or-

my dwarfs get a lot of interested emotions, and others crappy good emotions (-8), but horrified, conflicted, and birds are WAY more stressfull

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 02:56:55 pm »

At what stress do dwarves go insane?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 03:07:53 pm »

There isn't a specific number where it happens. Any dwarf stressed enough to throw tantrums (or their non-violent equivalents) seems to have the potential to go insane. I've personally seen dwarves in recent versions suffer that final snap at stress levels anywhere from the mid 200 thousands all the way up to 850k.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 03:14:33 pm »

I've got a plump helmet woman chained up at 440k and rising. She's showing the signs but hasn't gone insane yet. We'll have to wait a little longer I suppose.
Pages: 1 [2]