Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquatic Creatures for sale [Modding boredom]  (Read 1174 times)

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Aquatic Creatures for sale [Modding boredom]
« on: March 27, 2015, 06:45:54 pm »

So.... I got bored this afternoon and modded in a new race- and they seem to domesticate everything. Also, I learned that apparently the tags that allow for ocean/river products in addition to the USE_ANY_PET_RACE comes up with some interesting behavior. Like I can bring giant sponges and orcas and GIANT SPERM WHALES with me at embark. For smallish prices. I might fix this.

Spoiler: here's what happened. (click to show/hide)

Thought I would just share this here. Anyone have ideas on how to use this?
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic Creatures for sale [Modding boredom]
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:56:09 pm »

The aquatic creatures would airdrown on embark, of course.  Thankfully, their corpses may in fact be as useful as the creatures themselves.  Giant spermwhale corpses are the largest single object in the game, and are thus the ideal minecart projectile.  The skeletons are probably pretty heavy, I'm not sure how skeleton weight is calculated.  You could keep the corpses from rotting through selective use of necromancy or biome effects.  Giant sperm whale zombies also have the advantage of being rather intimidating in combat, and perfectly capable of moving across land, though obviously this means they require careful handling.  I wonder how many giant sperm whale zombies would be required to squash a fair sized siege, first by having them rain down on the goblins, and then have them furiously flop all over everyone.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:50:32 pm »

The aquatic creatures would airdrown on embark, of course.  Thankfully, their corpses may in fact be as useful as the creatures themselves.  Giant spermwhale corpses are the largest single object in the game, and are thus the ideal minecart projectile.  The skeletons are probably pretty heavy, I'm not sure how skeleton weight is calculated.  You could keep the corpses from rotting through selective use of necromancy or biome effects.  Giant sperm whale zombies also have the advantage of being rather intimidating in combat, and perfectly capable of moving across land, though obviously this means they require careful handling.  I wonder how many giant sperm whale zombies would be required to squash a fair sized siege, first by having them rain down on the goblins, and then have them furiously flop all over everyone.
or you could butcher the sperm whale and never have to feed your fortress again.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 03:09:23 pm »

Any chance of being able to bring a few cages and stuffing them into a cage before they air-drown?...

Otherwise, butcher a giant sperm whale. Just one. You'll have plenty of time to set up farming, or just buy one every year...
Also, you should be able to purchase them from the caravan, and might be able to keep them in the cage. That might be a way to create your own shark pit.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:25:02 pm »

I will be attempting the shark pit thing sometime in the nearish future, I'll keep you posted.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:46:06 pm »

You can add AMPHIBIOUS to them if you want.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::