Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-founding a civ?  (Read 1900 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re-founding a civ?
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »

Is it possible to re-found a civilization with the way things work now? Could you found a city in a dead civilization, leave it, and found another with that city being the new capital? Has anyone done this :O
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re-founding a civ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:53:08 pm »

If the civ is really dead, you can't play as it and therefore can't found a city in it.
Reclaiming a dead civ's cities makes them part of your current civ.

Having said that, apparently dead civs sometimes turn out to be not quite dead yet having a couple of members hanging out in a cave somewhere. Not sure if you can found a city with them though. Presumably even if they were playable you wouldn't get any immigrants.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »

Having said that, apparently dead civs sometimes turn out to be not quite dead yet having a couple of members hanging out in a cave somewhere. Not sure if you can found a city with them though. Presumably even if they were playable you wouldn't get any immigrants.
You can and you do. It's a bit disappointing really that you just get migrants out of nowhere even if your civ is the last of the dwarves and you only have 3 living members left.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:15:01 pm »

Well, they are out of sites... can't you found a fortress and leave it, at which point it functions as part of the civ that founded it?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:25:56 pm »

There's no such option.
For example, my world used to have 3 dwarven civs, but only 1 is playable. The embark menu doesn't show the other 2 civs so there's no way I can refound them. Neither can I play as an adventurer from those dead civs.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:39:47 pm »

The best you can do is find a Civ with only one meager site left, then revive its glory days... mostly through the magic of the first 2 hard-coded waves.  However, you -slowly- repopulate the good ol' fashioned way...  These civ's usually die out due to rampant goblin attacks (with the odd FB/Dragon/Titan finishing the job).  So if you are in control, you can fend off the sieges far better than hte NPCs.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 12:50:11 am »

Actually, you will get migrants from such civ - not all members are dead, they just spread all over the world, I've even seen a banished king, awaing for the new throne to rise, hehehe. Managed to get big migration waves after hardcoded ones, in LegendVewer civ was listed "no notable sites".
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:53:53 am by SMASH! »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:52:40 am »

Actually, you will get migrants from such civ - not all members are dead, they just spread all over the world, I've even seen banished king, awaing for the new throne to rise, hehehe. Managed to get big migration waves after hardcoded one, in LegendVewer civ was listed "no notable sites".

Actually, I DO have a civ that shows as having 0 sites in Legends mode (Last know site was 100 years ago). I can found a city for them in Dwarf fortress mode.

I wonder if it has to do with there being ANY dwarf civs? Or maybe if there are some of that civ that are in hiding, or that have officially moved their seat of power to a cave or something?

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 01:30:04 am »

Is it possible to re-found a civilization with the way things work now? Could you found a city in a dead civilization, leave it, and found another with that city being the new capital? Has anyone done this :O

That's  actually what i'm doing right now. I am rebuilding a dead human civ that was constantly razed by ponies and megabeast. You may want to cheat in a few babies though to make your playthrough a little more bearable though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:31:55 am by mineforce »
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 04:54:54 am »

In my current world I have 1 actually dead Dwarf civ (the final member of which lived her life inexplicably as the queen of the elves who wiped out everyone else) and then there are seemingly dead civs, human and goblin who did nothing for several hundred years and suddenly became active in 1050 when worldgen finished. I'm told these are a result of one or two folks still being alive in the wilderness for a long time. Come 1050 they suddenly became 'warlord of hoveltown' and so on.

A really dead civ can't be rebuilt (just reclaimed by someone else).

Odd about the new folk. Although, you can explain them as being stand-ins for the not yet implemented hill dwarves and deep dwarves I suppose.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »

FYI, I'm going to re-found the civ in a remote glacier volcano. Gonna do this with some pizzazz.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 05:53:57 pm »

If you see the civ on the embark screen that lists which civs you can be part of, but it doesn't show any blue statues on the map, it is usually a not-quite dead civilization.  When you select them you get the first two hard coded waves then (usually) nothing else.  When this is an option, you are sometimes still at war with whichever neighbor killed off everyone else, which can give you an idea of where the old sites were at.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 07:41:23 pm »

I actually checked legends viewer, it says there are no sites under this civ.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 10:16:41 pm »

Do those tents in adventure mode count as sites?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 10:50:30 pm »

Do those tents in adventure mode count as sites?
A leader of the civ hiding in a cave with two other random members counts as a site. Don't actually know about camps. I'd guess yes.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia