Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Holes in ground when area below is already dug out?  (Read 699 times)

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Holes in ground when area below is already dug out?
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:27:23 am »

I've noticed something strange in my last 3 forts. When soil is available I usually build a few things directly below the surface (farm plots, trade depot,...), and it happens every now and then, that these rooms get holes in their ceiling. Not a big deal as long as it doesn't happen during a siege, but still annoying. I suspect trees, or more specifically roots to be the cause, but I haven't been able to reproduce this issue on purpose. Is anyone else experiencing this? Can it have something to do with removal of roots of trees that are chopped down?
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: Holes in ground when area below is already dug out?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:38:47 am »

Yep, that's trees. They will leave holes if there is empty space 1 level below.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holes in ground when area below is already dug out?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:33:06 am »

Thanks!
For my current fort this is bad news, as I've dug out a large area below the surface for iron mining... I might have to seal off these areas and build a solid floor above any rooms that are in use.
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!