Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Huge FPS drop from 34.11 to DF2014  (Read 1003 times)

TheSponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Huge FPS drop from 34.11 to DF2014
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:17:10 am »

In 34.11 it would take several ingame years or a waterfall for my framerate to drop below 100, but now on 40.24 it's hovering around 65 just after embark. There's nothing at the embark site to cause such a performance hit and it's only 4x4. I'm using dfhack and made some minor changes to the raws to give goblins and humans steel and to allow dwarves to make longswords. Were there any major changes in DF2014 that would cause this?

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
Re: Huge FPS drop from 34.11 to DF2014
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:14:07 am »

The chief reason blamed for the FPS hit is world activation. You're entire world is running in the background now instead of being static. Sites are being founded and taken over. People are being born and killed. Armies are marching across the world. That sort of thing. The bigger your world, the bigger the hit. I play on a small region to avoid FPS issues.

TheSponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 10:23:40 am »

That makes sense. In a previous world (medium sized) it took a while for it to get down to the framerate I started with in a large world. How does world activation affect adventurers?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:33:29 am »

Actually there are many things that affect fps, for example, new trees.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:57:35 am »

Yeah, that's another one. Especially in the fall when the leaves drop. Or when fruit and nuts drop. I just mentioned the biggest reason sonce I'm mobile bound currently.

As for adventurers, that one I can't answer. I only play dwarf mode.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 06:09:47 pm »

Hm, another reason to stay with 0.34...

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 03:00:27 pm »

In 34.11 it would take several ingame years or a waterfall for my framerate to drop below 100, but now on 40.24 it's hovering around 65 just after embark. There's nothing at the embark site to cause such a performance hit and it's only 4x4. I'm using dfhack and made some minor changes to the raws to give goblins and humans steel and to allow dwarves to make longswords. Were there any major changes in DF2014 that would cause this?

The single most important change is change in pathing, I believe. Pathing is much more involved. Gobbos can shoot even if they won't immediately find a "walking" path to you (they usually can find a "climbing" path though), flyers can use some complicated ways to get inside, animals apparently path even if the doors are locked and bolted, cavern creatures constantly climb trees and walls to get away from Forgotten Beasts and more. If you let you dwarves idle for a moment, then you should see a difference in FPS. But you don't have influence over all creatures.

If you have 65 FPS at the beginning of 4x4 embark it doesn't bode well. I had over 100 FPS (capped) when I embarked at 5x3, and now its dropping to 15 sometimes (it rebounds to 20-30 when many dwarves idle). And I even haven't emptied the ocean, which was my original plan.