Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Item/ability hoarding games  (Read 1553 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Item/ability hoarding games
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »

I've been watching a lot of Jefmajor's LPs of The Binding of Issac, Nuclear Throne, and Vagante. I've noticed in these games that the items and abilities you randomly obtain determine your playstyle and need to be hoarded for success.
As opposed to most RPGs (Diablo, TES, Nethack) where your items and abilities exist to support your playstyle.

I'm looking for similar games, bonus points if they are for Android.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Item/ability hoarding games
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 03:21:28 pm »

The closest I can think of for Android that isn't shovelware is Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. Each class has certain cards that can only be used by that class, and each class is meant for a different play style. If you have a least-favorite class, cards for that class can safely be disenchanted for dust which you can then trade for cards that you would rather have instead. I believe the ratio of dust cost per card is pretty high though, so you'd have to disenchant a lot of cards to get a decent one.

EDIT: I suppose this is somewhat similar to how World of Warcraft itself works, where you can disenchant items that you don't want to create items that you would rather have instead. That's a very grindy way to play though. The various tiers of crafting materials do have a way of accumulating though, so you're never short (unless you sell it and don't look into crafting until level 60 or so, which is what I did on my main).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:26:22 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:20:04 am »

ProspectorRL. It's not for Android however (oh dear god I hope someone ports it one day).

Think of Star Trek, a bit of Star Control 2 and a bit of Pirates! mixed together, but as a rogue-like. You start with bugger all, then run around collecting minerals off various planets to trade for cash. You then buy things with that cash. You also find things on the planets. You also upgrade your officers and redshirt crew with that cash.

There are things. Lots and lots of things. Your ship, its modules, its sensors, its engines, its weapons, its extra Gubbins. Your crew, your officers. Their ranged weapons, their melee weapons, their armour, their transport, their oxygen supply, their miscellaneous tools, their bio-enhancements. Mining robots, scouting robots. Fuel for jetpacks. Mining drills. Goggles, sensors. Quest items. You even get your own weapons and armour.

You name it, this game has it. And yes, it has a lot of it. You'll sell some things every once in a while, or choose not to grab some things because yours is already better. But mostly you horde things. All the things.

It doesn't matter how many ground penetrating radars you have. Or how many Medical Officers. Snipers are slightly better at shooting than redshirts, but not at high levels, but it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if you have 70 hover platforms for a crew of 50, all who already each have their own personal jetpack, you'll get more of both whenever you can. Everyone already has an upgraded disintegrator rifle? You damn well will travel to pick up that laser rifle regardless, even from one side to the other of a toxic acid raining planet that is spewing lava right next to your ship, and going through a heavy insta-kill meteor bombardment. Because you need more. Lots more.

It doesn't so much define your playstyle, as open options to do more things. At the start you can't do anything well, but you can do a tiny bit of one thing. Stuff is really dangerous and a lot of places are off-limits unless you're suicidal. Then you get better at that thing. Because you have a few things. Then you can do more things. Because you have more things. Then you get better at everything. Because you have some of lots of everything. Then you get good at everything. Because you have heaps of everything. But the mindset stays with you. You need more things, better things, heaps of things. All the things. Because, surprisingly enough, some stuff can still be dangerous. So get more things.

One of the best rogue-likes ever. And it's free. It's also written in BASIC, for extra style points.

Main site:
http://www.prospector.at/forum/

Wiki:
http://prospector.wikia.com/wiki/Prospector_Wiki

Sourceforge Repository (may be out of date):
http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

Bay12 topic:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34943.0
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:36:44 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:22:43 am »

Yeah, Prospector does a great job of staying dangerous right up to the end game. Elite crew of 100+ bionically-maxed out badasses, all in ancient alien powered armor and wielding so many disruptors that they can carve a path 8-squares long through solid alien metal?

Here, have a room full of battle robots. And weep in terror as half your squad dies killing them.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:32:16 am »

Another two that are far closer to what you are asking are DoomRL and ToME4. I don't have a huge amount of experience with ToME, but abilities are probably as important as items in play style. Neither are Android compatible, but both should probably be played at some point. ToME is nice for this kind of thing.....

But DoomRL.... Whoo boy!

Everything you pick up, every level up trait you take, defines your play style. A fast runner, a tank, a shotgunner, a melee'r, a rocket lobber, a chaingunner, a jack of all trades. Absolutely everything you pick up, use or choose to level into defines your character and play style. And there's multiple paths or ways of doing different archetypes, with many of them potentially valid powerhouse builds.

Limited inventory slots. Limited leveling. Limited weapon and armour mods. Define yourself within those limits.

You can never know what you will get, or exactly what you'll face, but it's rare that if you have a defined character "concept" that you won't be able to follow through on it. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Unless you die before you start really showing your strengths. That happens quite a bit.

Tons of ammo? Heaps of health packs? A mod master? Ammo-less or low ammo build? Armoured tank? Utility build? All are doable.

The game has some great features to implement this. An actual dodge system, corner shooting, assemblies for mods, a basic/advanced/master trait leveling system, 3 quite different classes and with only a few things OP (with the game still being hard enough and strategic enough that you can still win or get splatted without too much RNG interference after the first few levels).

There's also a rather large badge/medal/challenge/difficulty level/player record system included, to encourage you to try things in different ways and to test your skill.

Plus, it's Doom, in a rogue-like. It's fucken fantastic.

Site:
http://doom.chaosforge.org/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:39:31 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 07:38:16 am »

@Hanzoku. What you needed are 3 lvl 5 Medical Officers and 10 medics. Watch the instant regeneration shrug off robot death.

You just needed more stuff :)

I'm actually going to load up Prospector in a minute. Haven't played in ages. Quite a bit is probably different now.
It's a game. Have fun.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 11:10:35 am »

This is relevant to my interests.

Also, risk of rain meets this style as well.

www.riskofraingame.com
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:38:04 pm »

Yeah, Risk of Rain is a game that fits this "genre" very well, although your playstyle is also largely determined by the character you choose (you unlock characters through achievements)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:27 pm »

There's this new indie game named vagante thats basically focused around traversing randomly generated levels, fighting bosses on each level and gathering items along the way. The item and spell system seems heavily based off traditional roguelikes and kind of reminds me of dungeon crawl: stone soup.

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 04:14:25 pm »

One Way Heroics

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 01:37:36 am »

There's this new indie game named vagante thats basically focused around traversing randomly generated levels, fighting bosses on each level and gathering items along the way. The item and spell system seems heavily based off traditional roguelikes and kind of reminds me of dungeon crawl: stone soup.

Already mentioned in the OP, but worth a re-mention IMO. Vagante looks great, no doubt I'll pick it up someday after Jef stops LPing it and I start pining to see more. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.