Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Pithy Quotes Thread  (Read 12889 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Pithy Quotes Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2015, 06:48:51 pm »

"Why?" -All humans.
"Why not?" --Everyone Else
"WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?!" --Confused man with voices in his head
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2015, 05:47:29 pm »

"I've never liked the statement 'Practice Makes Perfect', or 'To be good at something, you must invest your time into it.'; it's by far, the least motivational thing to say to a person as lazy as myself.

Lazy people like to have fun, and the more fun you have, the better you get at something (regardless if it's boring to someone else), and when you're having the time of your life, whether be it relative (to oneself, or local social circle) or absolute (to everyone else and the big leagues), you're an expert in your field, and you know you rock at what you do.

To enjoy what you do (for a living, or as a hobby), can also make you an 'instant-expert' 'sans-practice'. Remember, lazy people, like myself, hate hard work and dedication. It's a waste of our time, and is no fun at all, and nothing more than a hassle to us; especially the recognition we get for it (I don't mind having fans, it's the fandom that develops that irritates me). We work hard enough to avoid said hassle. Artists don't work, they do art." --Itnetlolor

ADDENDUM:
I basically see that last bit about fandom as how I think Christ would feel about religion based around him as of late. He doesn't mind those that respect him; it's the zealots that bug him the most. For example, I've been to a -con before, and the artists/creators were awesome, but I can feel their pain when they see a total "fanboy" bug them about stuff. I never thought life would imitate art like that. Though it wasn't too far-fetched. It kinda reminded me about how I made more friends in school because my artistic abilities and my aims could net me big bucks as a future career. It made me feel like they respected the artist (money-maker they could sponge off of), but not the person (Me, the artist).

I never thought I'd feel relieved to fail in my ambitions like that. I avoided having tons of annoying non-friends thanks to failure.

"See, there's even a brightside to total darkness." --Itnetlolor, addressing to those that don't like negative/pessimistic people. Mostly blind-optimists that have their contrasts set too high, from being in the light for too long (AKA- Having their heads up their ass, with a wire hanger in the mouth 24/7.).

EDIT:
"What's more painful than not being helped? Being helped by those that don't understand you, or your situation, and also refuse to understand you, or the cause of the issue, to help you out, more efficiently; no matter if what you say to them (that would help/serve as a translator) would make their job easier to accomplish, or their advice easier to understand, and to accept, in general." --Itnetlolor; More times than not, any help I ask for, and aid in the advice-giving by providing a "rosetta-stone" of reference, the "rosetta-stone" is never taken into consideration. For example: Translating my pessimism in a way an optimist would understand. To find a neutral-ground, if you will. Like explaining context to a content-oriented person; especially if they have no idea how context works. It's like asking for an argument, and getting abuse instead.

EDIT EDIT:
Oops. I may need to re-adjust my personal definitions. I've read some rather large quotes that seemed rather normal-scaled to me lately. That seemed short enough IMO. :P

Then again, by my definition, with how elaborate I can get into those, those ARE short. I guess, unless I can complete the thought, those not-so-short quotes would be incomplete, otherwise. Plus, first quote's 199 words.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:11:34 pm by Itnetlolor »

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2015, 09:28:43 pm »

pithy: concise or forcefully expressive
synonyms: succint, terse, concise, compact, short and sweet, brief, condensed, to the point, epigrammatic, crisp, less than 500 words, other words which do not describe above post
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2015, 12:20:15 am »

-The more you know the less you understand-
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:29 am »

pithy: concise or forcefully expressive
synonyms: succint, terse, concise, compact, short and sweet, brief, condensed, to the point, epigrammatic, crisp, less than 500 words, other words which do not describe above post
Agreed.

Sorry Itnetlolor, you lose 7 internet points. You can win these back by needless meme references, confusing syntax, and saying something using less words than would make it grammatically correct.

* CaptainMcClellan flees to the memeout shelter to hide from the incoming memestorm.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2015, 08:16:08 am »

Morals are nothing more than a subtle form of force employed by the community against the individual.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2015, 08:40:53 am »

Morals are nothing more than a subtle form of force employed by the community against the individual.
Except when they're internal aspirations to arete.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2015, 09:22:05 am »

Well, you've taken over these internal aspirations from somewhere... Playing devil's advocate, I'd claim that the oppression is all the more effective because of the process of internalization.

Using this argument the other way around, you can argue that autonomous decision-making is a ridiculous ideal to strive for and that societal norms aren't a bad thing.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2015, 10:23:09 am »

Purely autonomous decision, ie that decision making which is not influenced in anyway by external sources, isn't even possible. That very fact needs to be taken into consideration as one of your external influences and resources for your decision making process, but this isn't a philosophy thread.*

Oppression is more or less a construct (probably moreso than morality is), but I'd argue that it's less a societal construct than a point of view. IE, you can't be oppressed without someone to recognize you are oppressed. ( Even if that person isn't you. )

*More or less it's not anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]