Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Transgender Bathrooms  (Read 23273 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender Bathrooms
« Reply #285 on: March 15, 2015, 11:12:20 pm »

Actually those statistics you're talking about usual involve them being raped by other men.

I think the major difference is our respective definitions of predator and monster. I believe that to term a human a monster, you must believe them incorrigible, inhuman and unrepentant. Serial-crimes are perpetuated by monsters.
When I think 'predator', I think 'wolf', and wolves are awesome- just not a good thing for modern society. In a similar sense, human predators with the 'alpha male' mindset and pack mentality had their place, but they don't anymore. In that way there's still some useful places for those old-world souls, but they're few and niche.

If we were ever thrown in a Lord of the Flies type situation, I would be thankful for (albeit wary of) those same predators. I would not want to be stuck with a monster.

I think it important that you realize society is not a "Lord of the Flies type situation". There's no real reason for a transgendered person to be discriminated against. Being different REALLY isn't enough. If you dislike the concept of transgenderism then that's okay, you're entitled to that, but you still shouldn't discriminate against that person for believing otherwise. I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at any more, but i'll say this: If a man, or boy, discriminates or rapes a transgendered individual, it's because that person is either a monster, or wasn't raised properly. In my experience, very few people are actually monsters. Which means that society is simply not teaching them the "proper values". I'm not even talking about society at large either. Modern popular culture and values in the US extoll tolerance as one of the most important things in life, with acceptance and understanding not far behind. If men are truly predators as you've described, then to a transgendered person who suffers from discrimination then they are horrible monsters indeed. The sad thing is, it's place like your boarding school that instill these fucked up morals.

It's "old world" values that teach children to be your so called predators. Like I said though, they're really not predators. Real predators are hunters, and hunters don't judge the quality of a kill by the clothes it's wearing, or the thoughts in its head. No, those children are monsters. Would a hungry wolf care what gender you were? I don't think so.

But you see, monsters, well all they do is discriminate, and that's what the people you describe do. They cause pain, agony, and discriminate. They become this because they are taught this. Generally by such institutions that seek to standardize and quantize everything.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender Bathrooms
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2015, 11:19:01 pm »

It's definitely more complex than the simplistic men perp/women victim thing

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/04/male_rape_in_america_a_new_study_reveals_that_men_are_sexually_assaulted.html

For example, 89% of juveniles in detention who report sexual abuse, are boys who say a female staff member was the perpetrator. Anyone has the potential to be a predator.

There's also an interesting thing, when forced penetration is look at both ways: females penatrated against their will, males made to penetrate someone when they didn't want to. The rate of these two things is almost identical according to CDC figures, less that 1% difference:
2010 National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, for which the Centers for Disease Control invented a category of sexual violence called “being made to penetrate.” This definition includes victims who were forced to penetrate someone else with their own body parts, either by physical force or coercion, or when the victim was drunk or high or otherwise unable to consent. When those cases were taken into account, the rates of nonconsensual sexual contact basically equalized, with 1.270 million women and 1.267 million men claiming to be victims of sexual violence.

The criteria used: force, coercion, being drunk or high thus unable to consent. These are the basics we agree as a rape definition I hope? So we have pretty much equal number of males and females claiming to have been victims in the best surveys we have.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:27:48 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]