Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Spare Money  (Read 630 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Spare Money
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:28:19 am »

So my dad pretty much pays for everything but I hit that point in my life where I just can't take it anymore and want to pay for things with my own money.

Yet I don't want to earn hand over fist amounts of cash... I just want some spare spending money.

Is there a good way to earn little bits of money without outright getting a part time job?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:31:07 am by Neonivek »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Spare Money
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:07 am »

I've signed up for a few labour hiring companies. Not sure if there are any and how they work where you live.

In here it's basically I sign up for a company. They look for employers in need of temporary workforce and then get all the peons in their roster (yours truly) and send them to do various oddjobs for a day or a week or so. It's ok I guess, if you don't have a better job lined up. Unless you've got some specific skillset/education you can expect to be doing a lot of manual labour. They pay per job/hour and you don't have to accept any jobs you don't want, so you can most of the time say "nope" if you feel like it. Though obviously at that point you're not getting any money and say "no" too many times and you'll fall of the roster.

Since jobs can be all over the place it helps to have a car, but I managed alright with just a bicycle seeing how I live in a city. That line of working can be a bit hit 'n miss and my experiences with those companies aren't exactly stellar but I've done jobs via them and I've gotten agreed and legit sums of money so there's something.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Making Spare Money
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 12:08:41 pm »

If you know somebody who does contract construction, try to get on with them. General trends should include:

+Delicious tax-free cash payment.
+Informal employment in the vein of, "Hey man, I've got a job on a house down in X today, you up for it?" with no obligation to work.
+Casual working environment.

-Working in really bad neighborhoods, the kind where the crew wants to finish work at noon so that they're gone by the time the crackheads wake up.
-Laughable safety standards.
-Not always regular; there might not be work when you've got the time for it.
-If you're not up for manual labor, don't bother.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable