Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to run a Monster Raising PnP RPG? (Advice needed) (Sign up too)  (Read 1641 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I have NO idea where to put this topic... so I'll put it here.

So since my last game died (FTW it died because of schedule conflicts) due to reasons that weren't because I ran it poorly (yay I am improving). I want to run something a bit more fun and something I'd want to immediately play.

I want to run a game based around raising or controlling multiple monsters at once.

The Pokémon RPG is hopelessly broken so I won't be attempting that... I tried to fix it up myself and while I made progress and it was only a matter of time... It is kind of a matter of time and it would take me months to fix that game. Just redoing the stats for monsters alone made be cry.

The issue is that pretty much no Pen and Paper RPG is built to accommodate that right out of the box.

So I am looking for advice and/or help (but frankly it is a lot of work so I don't expect any help).

My current idea is to construct a setting using Hero System 5th edition (since I lack 6th... sadly... I would totally buy 6th if I could but my local store lacked both books back when I had money)

But here are mostly the issues I am being presented
1) I don't want players to be "left behind"
2) I don't want it to be possible to make monsters unbalanced wrecks

Would certainly be neat to do this Monster Rancher style... or Jade Cacoon style...

Goodness Pen and Paper RPGs... why isn't there a popular monster raising one?

I wouldn't even be opposed to doing this in Pathfinder or less obvious systems (Though FateRPG is a bit too... "It doesn't matter") as long as the mechanics can be laid down solid.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:18:23 am by Neonivek »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: How to run a Monster Raising PnP RPG? (Advice needed)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:18:02 am »

Depending on whether you intended to run a game of it here or not, I suspect this would go in FG&RP or Creative Projects.

Unfortunately that's largely the end of my specific advice, because I'm completely unfamiliar with Hero System 5th Edition.

I want to run a game based around raising or controlling multiple monsters at once.
First piece of advice: Keep each monster simple. If every player has three characters, they're not going to need or want each one to be equivalent to a full-fledged character in another RPG.

1) I don't want players to be "left behind"
Meaning what, exactly? Under what circumstances are you concerned some players will get outleveled or become obsolete or what have you?

2) I don't want it to be possible to make monsters unbalanced wrecks
Making them relatively simple helps with this.

Making their stat growth relatively locked together also helps. If you can pump Agility or Crit or AD or whatever stat exists while leaving everything else to rot, there's some chance you will and that will play out however it plays out; often poorly from a gameplay perspective. If your stats all increase at the same rate, that's less fun to level up with but keeps everything more or less even. Somewhere in there is probably an option that's both satisfying and not hideous to behold.

Goodness Pen and Paper RPGs... why isn't there a popular monster raising one?
This is actually a good question. Though I think I heard Pathfinder can do swarm necros fairly well? If so that'd be sorta something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:26:42 am »

I will move this to creative projects (Or recreate the topic) once I have down packed what I am going to do. Since I havn't finalized if I even am intending to use Hero system 5th, it just makes the most sense.
-Mostly I just didn't put this there because... I am just looking for advice rather then having a solid foundation laid down. This isn't a project yet...

I will move it to FG and Roleplay (or "Other Games, Play With Buddies" if I plan to use Roll20) once I finish enough to actually host a game. Gathering players who would want to play it, with me because of all the success I've had previously, right now would be premature.

As for what I mean by 1... I basically yes, I don't want players to become outleveled or obsolete.

I don't know if I want players to use 1 monster at a time or 3... I am thinking they could have 3 at a time but only use one.

---

Yeah the biggest issue is that I want the players to be able to guide the growth of their monsters, without that guidance completely overwhelming the monster's natural abilities and making unbalanced messes, and make each one feel unique in their hands.

The actual "characters" is another thing and actually could be the limiter that keeps everyone together (Monsters not being able to improve past their trainer ability for example).

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:30:53 am »

While I don't have much in the way of tips, you might want to check out Pokéthulhu. (TV Tropes) The game is really an elaborate joke, being "based on" a show that doesn't exist (you're supposed to make up details as you go), but you could modify it to a more serious and complex one if it's not your style. The sourcebook .pdf is free, by the way.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:27:28 pm »

It is a bit too simple mind you.

I do want to do something a bit more serious, but I do want to avoid the age old "this is stupid, mine is so much better" aspect that creeps into a lot of things.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 01:46:32 pm »

Could always do Tank Rancher Ultimate™.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 09:17:50 am »

*sigh*

I got little choice since I can't create my own system.

I checked and I do have 6th edition and I think what I will do is create it in 6th or 5th and ask for people's help in creating a enough monsters to fill it in... I can just post enough costs and points to fill that in.

As well as to get in the trainer mechanics

Trainer Equipment.

and stuff...

Actually... I could even turn this EASILY into a Monster Hunter game... but alas I am not well versed in the series in order to run in reasonably... but I always could attempt it...

Is anyone willing to help me with either

----

Attempting to fill out the Monster Raising System in Hero System

Helping me with a possible Monster Hunter Game... While PREFERABLY I'd like someone familiar with hero system, I have at one point of my life memorized 5th edition so I can provide enough mechanics that it isn't needed. I just need someone who is well versed in the games.

Or as always you can continue to give me advice here.

---

If I have a team, I can move onto the creative forum... I am just too intimidated to attempt this solo at the moment.

I know enough about Hero system to provide a lot. It isn't ideal but beggars can't be choosers.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:22:24 am by Neonivek »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: How to run a Monster Raising PnP RPG? (Advice needed) (Sign up too)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:36:13 am »

Tabletop roleplay game mechanics don't tend to scale well to forums. I ran a game here where players caught and combined pokemon into pokefusions. It was fun at first, but things got a bit repetitive after a while and interest dropped off. Anyway, mechanically, I kept things simple and based most things on a simple contested roll modified by elemental strengths and weaknesses.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:11:26 pm »

*sigh*

I got little choice since I can't create my own system.
How come? Blade Master Model 42 and I made our own system for Blitzball together over IRC. We took examples from FFX and brainstormed, tried some numbers, it was a cinch. Unless you're implying some other kind of problem.

I'd be willing to help with whatever you decide to go with.