Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Open spaces  (Read 1532 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Open spaces
« on: February 24, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »

I've noticed with the latest release I seem to encounter a number of floor spaces opening up if I dig just below the top z-level.  I'm assuming this is a result of tree roots.  Either I've failed to notice all of the open spaces or they just keep opening up, and I have to keep flooring over them like a game of whack-a-hole.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Should I just go ahead and floor over everything above my top floor as a preemptive measure?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Open spaces
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:27:14 pm »

It's a result of cutting down trees.  When you cut down trees over a tile where you've mined out the z-level below, it punches through to the lower z-level.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40:14 pm »

I blame elves.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 05:11:05 pm »

It's a result of cutting down trees.  When you cut down trees over a tile where you've mined out the z-level below, it punches through to the lower z-level.
I ran into this with my last fort.  It looked to me like it was only punching through the floor when the logs from newly cut down trees fell from a sufficient height.  I typically only had one or two holes per tree cut down, but it was enough to have me either leave a solid layer between the surface and my underground rooms, or make sure to cut the trees down before I mined out the rooms.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 06:04:29 pm »

Any time you cut down a tree (or it colapses) over ground that has been tunneled out underneath, there's a chance you'll end up with a hole. Flooring over the whole area will prevent this.  You can use paved roads to do the flooring with less material. You can also prevent it from ever happening by not having any part of your fort separated from where trees grow by nothing more than a natural floor.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:45:01 pm »

Leave the first floor alone(the layer below your ground level), if you can.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:42:33 am »

I was under the impression logs from felled trees wouldn't punch through, but logs that get caught on still standing trees that are later felled would; With the same for falling logs hitting creatures.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 04:22:40 pm »

I was cutting down multiple trees in one area when it happened to me, but I don't know if the holes came directly from trees being felled, or falling off off trees being felled.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 04:28:02 pm »

Holes appear where the tree trunk was. Multi-tile trunks may leave multi-tile holes (not too sure, i only had one such case, and that was a glitched tree that kept trying to grow in thin air).

I'm quite sure it's a glitch that happens when you cut down a tree over a mined-out tile, and the logs don't play a role.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 06:24:29 pm »

Holes appear where the tree trunk was. Multi-tile trunks may leave multi-tile holes (not too sure, i only had one such case, and that was a glitched tree that kept trying to grow in thin air).

I'm quite sure it's a glitch that happens when you cut down a tree over a mined-out tile, and the logs don't play a role.
I can't confirm at the moment, but it seems logical from what I experienced.  I guess I can test it and make sure a bug report exists for it. ;)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 06:38:04 pm »

This is good to know; I was starting to get paranoid about spontaneous unreported cave-ins on my plateau. So now I know when I cut down a tree for not giving me boozables right above my water line, I'd better have a grate standing by.