Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are your dwarves obsessed with engraving?  (Read 1060 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
What are your dwarves obsessed with engraving?
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:21:38 pm »

Klayber or something the raven man taming the giant thrips in 69 for me. I find it on my crafts, my clothes, my walls, even an artifact or two. What do your dwarves put everywhere?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: What are your dwarves obsessed with engraving?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:04:39 pm »

Ice wolves.
Mostly one in particular that got a name, "Mirroredroses".
There are countless engravings of it killing dwarves and then being killed by a wardog, who then also got a name "Agedsteel".

Also lots of civ/government symbols.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:28 pm »

The local mountain titans and all their victims are a favorite. So is the dragon who destroyed the civ's founding city and moved in. And the human who defeated it but didn't quite kill it. And how he was killed by a yeti.

Oh, and my civ's symbol is a dwarf. How dwarfy. With the Phoebes tileset, it looks like a bunch of corpses. I have to toggle off the floor engravings so I'll be able to identify a true corpse.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:02:00 pm by Uzu Bash »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 12:37:24 am »

Kor Sableburied the night creature for me.  Suuure, like the hundreds year old wanderings of a weredwarf is more interesting than the past five goblin sieges that have been repelled at the fortress.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:02 am »

A governmental symbol which happens to be a window. So it looks like all my walls have windows in them. Which they don't, as although our dominant political party is the Windows party, there is actually no sand or glassmaking on the map at the moment, other than a small secluded area for moody dwarfs (Which no one has yet taken an interest in), carefully stocked with trader purchased sand bags.

Also, a few forts ago, everyone liked engraving food. It was sad, as a few years later, due to seige and a water pressure issue making it impossible to reach the surface yet a Forgotten Beast War keeping us out of the caverns, the entire fortress died of starvation (combined with some drowning in the aquiferous levels). To the end, some engravers kept covering the walls in images of cheese, grapes, guavas, apples, and other surface-derived foods. Sadly such engravings don't give sustenance to a hungry dwarf who at the last resorts to hunting vermin for food. It was inevitable.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

unknown zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:52:02 am »

Mine are obsessed with engraving (and making artifacts about) an elf named Alatha Fuschiafluke that got killed by a cyclops named Girus Flaxinks in The Angelic Swamps in the year 59.
Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 11:09:54 am »

My dwarves also like engraving the rampage of a webber hill titan that killed a bunch of my dwarves with a coat in the second year of my fort.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 12:00:42 pm »

For some reason most of my masons and engravers are spiteful little things that always pick on the rest citizens by engraving and making statues of things they detest. So vermin for me. I can't go looking for cool engravings without finding a half dozen pictures of cowering dwarves and every vermin imaginable. ._.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:05:50 pm by Wheeljack »

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 12:20:02 pm »

There's always that one guy who just can't seem to get over the time he was replaced as broker.

Oh, and trees.  They also like trees.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 01:38:02 pm »

Bushtits: so many bushtits. Guess what my legandary engraver likes? That and a Hag killing people.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.