Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: useless peasants! need help  (Read 1459 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: useless peasants! need help
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 05:13:30 am »

Blocks are easier to store, and easier to transport, and make nice smooth walls. I have useless workers making blocks out of whatever comes to hand on a regular basis. I also get them to dig or smooth rock. When they're all trained up in smoothing, I can start having engraving happen.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 06:19:16 pm »

Slag pits.

Channel Out a Hole. Build a well, dormitory and some plump helmet pastures. Burrow the peasants (you might want to give them a mass tag through Therapist, I choose Slag or Conscript.) Lock them into the pit. Make them wrestle if you want.

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 08:05:46 pm »

Rock crafts are low value, but if you make enough, you can trade them to caravans for the whole caravan. Make 'crafts', because you get three per 1 rock, and they're light. Don't forget to enable bins, or your dwarves will spend forever hauling them to the trade depot.
You could also have some crafting shops right next to the depot, with said workshops feeding into a stockpile that doesn't accept any of the produced items. The items will still get hauled individually, but they're close to the depot and required no previous hauling.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 08:09:46 pm »

I kinda like peasants.

They're like blank slates. They can be miners, engravers, cage trap loaders, furnace operators, haulers, soldiers, anything.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 12:26:13 pm »

I like to put mine on repeating or easy-to-train jobs: furnace operation, wood burning, weaving, engraving, threshing, spinning, that kinda stuff.  I've always wanted to train a craftsman from nothing to a high level, but generally a high master comes in and makes the trainee redundant.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 12:37:12 pm »

Redundant craftsdorfs are a good thing. Having them around reduces the pressure to keep your one legendary alive.

You can train dwarves up in virtually any profession without producing any useless things... and trading is always an option for even low quality crafts.

Mason - blocks or rock pots if you don't mind the low quality (no practical effect)
Glassmaker - raw green glass/blocks
Metalworker of any kind - just look at the DF2014:Melt article on the wiki for objects that return 100% when melted down.
Gem setter - aforementioned raw green glass
All misc. craftsdwarves - random crafts, it doesn't matter since you're trading them anyway.
Carpenter - bins. Lots of bins. And wooden pots.
Cook - Yes, there will be a few -roasts- lying around. But it's quick to train, and -roasts- contain just as much food as ¤roasts¤

Any job that doesn't produce quality levels... they'll just get faster as time goes by.

And so on. Just make sure your military isn't in need...

"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 
Pages: 1 [2]