Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Play DF on a tenkeyless keyboard?  (Read 7584 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Play DF on a tenkeyless keyboard?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:36 pm »

Okay, I'm really confused by all the comments here. Everybody is acting like not having a numpad is no big deal. Now, keep in mind, I haven't played DF since about 2013.

My concern is not about missing the +, -, *, /, etc. keys. I don't care about that at all.

It used to be the case that some menus had to be navigated using WASD, some menus had to be navigated using arrow keys, and some menus had to be navigated using 2468 on the numpad.

Is that not the case anymore? From what I recall back in 2013, having a keyboard with a numpad was basically required because certain menus in the game basically required that you have it in order to navigate the menu. Did this get changed?
IIRC I use +/- (list of objects), arrow keys (horizontal and vertical movement, other lists of objects), umkh (construction placement), wasd (archery target orientation) and page up/down (jump to previous/next page in lists with arrow keys movement), </> (up/down in 3D) and 1/3/7/9 (diagonal movement) for various movements. And that's all in "main keyboard" area, even without any key changes. No numpad needed though with numpad and key changes it may be easier to navigate various lists and issue orders to game.

But you know: this is DF. We are not really here for great graphics or easy-to-use user interfaces. :D
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 06:18:32 pm »

Other than editing the "_" and "+" keys to also use "-" and "=" respectively, which I do regardless of the keyboard, I use the default keybindings.  I haven't run into any problems playing DF on a keyboard without a tenkey. 
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 06:39:32 pm »

It used to be the case that some menus had to be navigated using WASD, some menus had to be navigated using arrow keys, and some menus had to be navigated using 2468 on the numpad.

Is that not the case anymore? From what I recall back in 2013, having a keyboard with a numpad was basically required because certain menus in the game basically required that you have it in order to navigate the menu. Did this get changed?

I believe that nearly every menu during play that used to require using 2468 to navigate can now be done using the arrow keys. I think that setting options in advanced world gen might still require the use of the number keys, though the numbers on the top row work just as well there, if not as conveniently laid out.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 07:12:25 pm »

You can change alllll those keybinds to something that suits you, case in point, I don't remember what the normal list scroll/page scroll buttons are, but I use numpad 7 and numpad / for list scroll down/up, with numpad * and numpad + for page scroll up/down, should probably find a use for the numpad - key but I kinda forget it is there normally.

Don't forget macros, dear bloodgod how was I not using them before?

I JUST now realized I could macro the adventurer attribute selection since I tend to use a default layout for 99% of my folks making it extra silly to go through and increment all the stats instead of selecting the macro (ctrl+y) and firing it (ctrl+f)...

Squid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:20:01 pm »

Well, this has been fascinating. Thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like the interface has gotten some updates since I last played, which is great. I will definitely give it another go-around soon.

Now, the real issue is ... can I stop playing Crusader Kings 2 for long enough to make this a reality?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 10:40:26 pm »

I use the shift key plus the arrows to shift the direction one step clockwise.
So:
shift + up -> northeast
shift + right -> southeast
shift + down -> southwest
shift + left -> northwest
There are other configurations, but this was the one that worked best for me.  You get used to it pretty quickly.
Holy crap, I didn't realize you could do that.  This allows you to rotate macros (or have rotation as part of the macro).  It's always irritated me that you couldn't do that.  I guess I just didn't read the menus closely enough.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 11:41:23 pm »

Oh glee, new keyboard arrived, it's nice and satisfying to type on, much nicer feeling overall, massy and such, and my weird mousekeys.xkb and df binds work flawlessly with the compact layout.
Pages: 1 [2]