Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does turtling cause FPS death?  (Read 3410 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Does turtling cause FPS death?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 07:09:51 am »

You can cage your extra cats and dogs, only release some of them to do their jobs.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 07:14:13 am »

turn off weather, turn of fluid depth (you can still check with "k", turn of temperature, seal off unused underground parts with walls or forbidden doors, start with a 3x3 or 2x2 starting point, atom smash those goblinite clothes, be wary of over production, exspecially in blocks/pots/clothing/bars, and try to use as little water/magma as possible, avaoid large clusters of animals, and pasture the rest (this pathfinding stuff)

well thats the normal things you can do, what you CAN try, is lowering the screen drawing/refresh rate. i haven't tried this myself, but i read that some have really good expreience with that part, only that it can cause graphic issues if the refresh is set tooo low^^

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 09:47:41 am »

be wary of over production, exspecially in blocks/pots/clothing/bars,
It's impossible to overproduce rock blocks! You're already overproducing rocks by digging, and you can only move out so much of it in crafts, so might as well convert it to a portable form that architects and masons prefer to work with.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 04:05:44 pm »

I worry about lowering FPS because it makes the game too slow.

If I wanted to have more time to do stuff and didn't want to use pausing for whatever reason, I would have set my FPS cap lower.

In Fortress Mode a low FPS is not too much of a big deal.  It just means the game runs in slow motion, which has advantages in a game with as convoluted an interface as Dwarf Fortress.  In adventure mode however a low FPS is just a nuisence since it is turn-based anyway.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 04:55:33 pm »

turn of fluid depth (you can still check with "k")

how is that supposed to help?

Seriously, if you get most of your slowdown after making a long passage through a mountain most likely traffic designations or blocking the tunnel are the first thing to try. As far as I understand pathing, if you have an open area - long passage - open area whenever pathing doesn't lead directly into the passage, surrounding area is searched. Now within a single open area this isn't a problem, but the combination of distance through bottleneck and two open areas at each end leads to problems.
Pages: 1 [2]