Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Ethics and Philosophy.  (Read 4647 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Ethics and Philosophy.
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2015, 05:35:17 am »

* Tack gets the joke

Had a recent conversation about being a dick and ethics.
As a self-proclaimed utilitarian, I justify my being a dick in large social situations by the amount of happiness which is gained around the group by it, much like a grilling comedian.
If the pain given to the person being insulted is less than the happiness given to the others in the current social situation, then I call it a win.

Of course, 'Crossing the line' is objectively the point at which people stop having fun, so regardless of the ethics there's still a point that's too far. But I don't mind people making fun of me if it makes others laugh, and I do the same to other people (to an extent). To that aim, I've actually cultivated a reputation as being a 'FoS' incorrigible douche, so whenever I do insult someone, the person being used as amusement knows not to take it seriously, because of aforementioned etcetera.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:35:41 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2015, 04:03:41 am »

I must ask, how on earth would 40 people all be dumb, blind, and deaf enough to all be standing on train tracks? Is there some provision for collective Darwin awards?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2015, 04:23:31 am »

There's a thousand reasons they would be. Maybe they are an entire engineering crew, and it's a subway with the nearest fire exit too far away to run to.
But as said before, the more variables given, the more it opens up 'loophole ethics'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]