Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wind power & latitude  (Read 846 times)

River Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wind power & latitude
« on: February 17, 2015, 07:13:19 am »

According to the wiki:

The power produced by each windmill depends on the latitude at which your fortress is located within the world

That's all it says.  So which latitudes provide more wind power, northern, southern, or equatorial?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wind power & latitude
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 03:06:17 pm »

This is from memory, so if I get something wrong someone will hopefully correct me. But I believe that 0 power windmills occur near the equator and poles, 40 power windmills occur about half way between the equator and a pole, and there's a band of 20 power sitting between each 0 power region and 40 power region. Also, there have been bugs with the latitude/wind relation in pocket worlds in the past, and I am uncertain if they have been fixed in the current version.

Because of the lower power output of wind, and the fact that the center tile of the windmill has to be "outdoors" and thus potentially vulnerable to attack, and the fact that power has to come through the center tile, I usually use waterwheels for my power needs, if possible.

River Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:07:17 pm »

I just have one windmill set up to run a mill 2 levels down.  It has 20 power, was just curious what the max was and where it would be.  Trying to avoid the flowing water lag.  Don't really need power for anything else, bringing minecarts back up 105 levels just with impulse ramps.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:53:46 pm »

There is a wiki page somewhere with a diagram over latitude/power relations.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:55:45 pm »

I thought I'd seen such a diagram on the wiki, but didn't find it in a quick search.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:45 pm »

The diagram isn't in an intuitive location - it's linked from the v0.34 version of the Windmill talk page: here.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:32:47 pm »

I had a weird case in a fort a few forts ago (still 40.24).  In that fort windmills on the ground got 0 power, but if I raised it a level or two above the ground it got 20 power.  That is with no lateral movement at all, just raising the windmill up z levels (nothing above it in either case).  I've been meaning to test that more thoroughly, but haven't had a need yet.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 07:18:29 am »

So it means the only winds are Coriolis winds, and that windmills are useless on the north/south poles ? Makes some amount of sense.