Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode - How does Questing work?  (Read 462 times)

Pseudobob

• Bay Watcher
  • None of you are safe!
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode - How does Questing work?
« on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:23 pm »

I have started playing Adventure Mode recently (not the newest version, but still 0.40.xx) and I seem to be missing some key aspects that aren't explained well enough on the wiki. My main experience with RPGs has been Oblivion and Skyrim, where quests are neatly organized in a topic log and have goal checklists and will tell me on-screen when I do something important. Clearly this doesn't happen in DF.

I can work the combat system just fine (well... you know) and the keys are becoming familiar to me, but the questing system so far has been totally opaque. I am told about a camp where bandits live. I go to the camp and kill said bandits. I tell someone about how I killed them, and they say "It was inevitable." And then nothing happens. The "quest" doesn't go away, the camp stays where it is. I can still ask people about the camp and they might say some guys got killed, but apart from that there's no feedback.

I've got to be missing something, right?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Adventure Mode - How does Questing work?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:48:43 am »

It might be that you need to tell the person who gave you the quest. It also might be that the system is more subtle than you're expecting - as far as I know, completing a quest doesn't net you any concrete reward, just increases your reputation. When it's high enough, you'll be told to speak to the local bigwig for a quest if you try to get another from a peasant, and they'll send you off to kill a titan or something. After which you still get no reward, except for street cred.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.