Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Give Me Dating Advice  (Read 8062 times)

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
Re: Give Me Dating Advice
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 01:32:57 pm »

here I thought you guys actually meant yiffing.
Good to see I'm not the only one.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2015, 08:46:07 pm »

Obligatory information: 16 years old, male, no life, no job, home schooled, minimal interaction with people for the last seven or so years, and very boring

As you can probably guess I don't even know where to start looking.

Hello there!

Society (and well, hormones) can put pressure on us to find someone.  I was very anxious as a teenager to find a girl, but it came late - I was 23 when I had my first girlfriend.  I wish I was somehow able to "talk to the younger me" - to let me know that it was going to happen and things work out.  I'm in my mid 30s now and very happy with my dating life - heck my lovely gf is surfing the net besides me, we've been together 4 years now.

You are young.  You are still becoming a man, an adult, a person.  Don't focus too much on dating.  You say you don't have much social skill and are "boring"?  Well work on changing that!  Become a great guy in other words.

Get an education, then a career. Work on your sense of humor - everyone loves a few joke, and don't take life too seriously. Stay in shape.  Be kind and generous but stand up for yourself. Get cultured, have diverse interests, learn about art, history, etc. Travel.  Be involved in your community.

If you are a charming young man, if you feel confident about who you are, you will become "a great catch". Of course, becoming that person takes serious work, but really, shouldn't we all try to become better persons? It won't happen overnight, but you have your whole life to get this done
hamster cheese supplies are low

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 02:06:16 pm »

On the whole friends to dating thing, I think it's the best way to find somebody for the long haul. That being said, in friendships there is generally a sort of reciprocity in doing nice things for the other person. If the favors scale is heavily tilted to one side, that's called being used, not being friends. In that scenario the person that's getting used is stupid, and the other party is immoral.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 02:50:41 pm »

On the whole friends to dating thing, I think it's the best way to find somebody for the long haul. That being said, in friendships there is generally a sort of reciprocity in doing nice things for the other person. If the favors scale is heavily tilted to one side, that's called being used, not being friends. In that scenario the person that's getting used is stupid, and the other party is immoral.
Or the giving one is desperate and the receiving oblivious.
Taste my Paci-Fist

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2015, 10:15:48 pm »

I'm posting to watch this thread, because I also was homeschooled and missed out on the entire..."dating" thing. Now I'm in college and confused and awkward.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 09:41:08 am »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:01:14 am by penguinofhonor »

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 04:07:32 am »

And neeeeeerds on forums like this one especially so :P
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THERE ARE AT LEAST THREE OF US IN SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIPS
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 03:10:01 pm »

I've been married for five years and have two kids, but I'm not good at dating so I'm staying out of this discussion.  In the interest of trying to help, don't sweat trying to be good at dating, just concentrate on not tripping over your own feet.  Dating is a vehicle to learn about your prospective partner, so don't try to be smooth and suave if you're not, just try not to mumble and be somewhat confident.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:17:10 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2015, 07:18:38 am »

Pretty much the best advice I can give is try to have fun with the other person. You like her and want to be with her, so try to enjoy the time spent together.
 Also, don't be afraid of showing her that you like her. You can't blame her for not wanting a relationship when she thought you only wanted to be friends with her!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 02:34:43 pm »

Friends first before considering for romance.

Has this advice ever worked for anyone ever?

Every relationship I've ever had, ever, it's always been clear from day one there there was mutual attraction. Usually, from the first 10 seconds. Whereas in my entire life I've never, ever turned a friendship into romance, and I've only very rarely seen anyone else do it.
This happens to be a bit relevant to the situation that I'm in, I wanted to date a girl from the minute that I met her, but turned it into a friendship instead, and now she knows that I've had a crush on her, but I doubt that anything will come from it even if I do ask her out.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2015, 07:04:54 am »

Unless she's told you that she knows, or you've told her about the crush, you're likely wrong to think that she does know. You might as well tell her. If you're good friends, you'll get over it if she doesn't feel the same way. If not, worst case scenario is that she hates you forever, steals all your other friends and marries your brother to turn him against you.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:47 am »

Friends first before considering for romance.

Has this advice ever worked for anyone ever?

Every relationship I've ever had, ever, it's always been clear from day one there there was mutual attraction. Usually, from the first 10 seconds. Whereas in my entire life I've never, ever turned a friendship into romance, and I've only very rarely seen anyone else do it.
This happens to be a bit relevant to the situation that I'm in, I wanted to date a girl from the minute that I met her, but turned it into a friendship instead, and now she knows that I've had a crush on her, but I doubt that anything will come from it even if I do ask her out.

Crush can easily look like being friendly and awkward.

Difference between being friendly guy and romantic interest is that the seccond one asks girl out on a date.

I have actually turned two friendships into dating (thou one reverted back to friendship later on - it was distance relationship) and this is basically the recipe: ask her out on a date.

If she has a crush on you she will okay it (God, what took you so long?). If she ever had a crush, it will get her reconsider think about you as a potential partner again (Tip: if woman has a crush, it takes a long time for her to get completelly over it).

If she sees no dating potential in you and is not ineterested, you are going to learn that by asking her out too. But better sooner than later.

There is only one hurdle: you will have to explain to her why you are asking her out now and not that minute you met her.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 04:00:24 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]