Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor "Fit for"  (Read 3613 times)

Izz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Armor "Fit for"
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:22:29 pm »

I was wondering what if any effect the armor variable "fit for human" and "fit for elf" have. Does this mean the armour won't fit your dwarves? Does it mean they take penalties when using it? I've avoided getting any armor or clothing in trade from the human and elf caravans because its all tagged this way which has been a problem for me because my embark has just about no weapons grade metal... or at least I've found none yet.

I have search and googled this and got absolutely nothing back so I thought I'd sign up and ask here.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor "Fit for"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:10 pm »

Humans are "Large" which means their clothing/armor is too large for dwarves. I think goblins, elves, and dwarves are the same size (goblins and dwarves are, at any rate).

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:02:26 pm »

In vanilla, goblins, elves, and dwarves can all use the same size armor (which doesn't list a size). Humans use large armor, and kobalds use small armor. But I've never seen the "fit for <race>" wording, so if that is coming from a mod, your experience may vary.

As to the issue of no weapons grade metals, even if you can't use the armor, you can still buy metal armor (and other items) from caravans to melt down into bars to make your own weapons and armor.

Izz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:14:05 pm »

No mods except for the lazy newb mod. The wording variable appears when you view the item in the top right below thickness and coverage stats. As for armour, I'm making do atm with leather and bone/shell while accumulating bits and pieces from the caravan. I'll be on the look out for cheap meltables though now until I secure my own source.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:28:21 am »

Ok, I see where that text is coming from now. Fortunately, creatures close enough to the same size as the ones the armor is fit for can also use it, and dwarves, elves, and goblins are all pretty much the same size, in game terms. So, any armor or clothing which doesn't have 'large' or 'small' at the beginning of its name should work for you. That being said, I wouldn't bother with any of the wooden armor the elves bring, since it really isn't very good, and humans caravans generally only bring human-sized armor and clothing, which dwarves can't equip. But any armor you manage to loot off visiting goblins should fit fine, and your dwarves will happily wear any clothes you buy or steal from the elves. And the dwarven caravans will of course bring dwarf-sized gear.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:40:09 am »

Other races armor is crap anyways. Melt it all, make steel, and outfit your troops in proper dwarven gear.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability