Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question: weaponizing magma mist (and other "no-good-metals-embark ideas")  (Read 4324 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Question: weaponizing magma mist (and other "no-good-metals-embark ideas")
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 11:11:17 am »

Are you in a savage area? Place cage traps everywhere, catch tons of giant animals, tame them, sic them on goblins.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 01:08:27 pm »

"No sand = no glass"

Is this even possible? Cavern plants walked over a lot or "floored over + removed floor" turn to what in your fort? (And no sand even in aquifer level?)

If you carry magma up to a trap room, why not simple process the invasion with magma? (You want the copper?)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 04:51:12 pm »

Again, I appreciate all of the input.  There are enough ideas to try that I will be leaving enough space on the entry level to have multiple death corridors (gold minecarts, death by casting, magma mist, traps), and choose between them when an enemy approaches.

After re-reading the magma mist article, I was chagrined to find out that you can't make magma mist by dropping magma; you have to drop things *into* magma to make it work.  So I'm thinking I can still make myself a mist trap by having open channels of magma on either side of the pathway, and then a stone stockpile on top of a retractable bridge one level up; remove the bridge, and the rocks fall down exactly into the magma, spraying in mist across the path.  The only problem I see is that the stockpile has to be reloaded by hand between each shot, making it poor for larger attacks or in cases where you can't get the whole invasion force to line up nicely on the path at the same time.
Why not to combine two in one? Have railway going down your hallway with assigned heavy minecarts and pits with magma on the end/sides. Use those minecarts to deliver some stones to magma pits to get magma mist. You can have them all go the same route, have separate routes to various pits winding through that hallway or even add some logic so you can select via levers which magma pit should be activated.

Heh, I may start including magma to my trap design, sounds like a lots of FUN to have.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 10:45:20 pm »

Many good ideas; I'm definitely trying the "falling magma + basalt floor grates", as it solves the reloading problem because the magma is the weapon and not a bunch of rocks or water buffalo nervous tissue.  And if it doesn't actually set the goblins on fire, lesson learned in the name of !!SCIENCE!!.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 12:47:19 am »

Why not implement the "Dwarven Machine Gun"?
Link here for reference: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78399.0

Two magma-safe pump stacks suspended in mid air (not connected to anything in the z-level above or below it), one pumping with magma, one pumping with water.

The contraption will be suspended over the bridge over magma of your choice.

Connect the two pumps to some power source, turn on the power and it creates a chunk of obsidian between the pumps, which since it is not connected to anything, forms a cave-in and the obsidian created falls down into the magma creating magma mist.

Periodic ammo refill problems are solved via adjusting the size of the water and magma cisterns your pump stacks draw from. Just set a dwarf to pull the lever on repeat when enemies pass below the "Dwarven Machine Gun" and enjoy your magma mist generator.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 03:04:32 am »

Why not implement the "Dwarven Machine Gun"?
Link here for reference: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78399.0

Two magma-safe pump stacks suspended in mid air (not connected to anything in the z-level above or below it), one pumping with magma, one pumping with water.

The contraption will be suspended over the bridge over magma of your choice.

Connect the two pumps to some power source, turn on the power and it creates a chunk of obsidian between the pumps, which since it is not connected to anything, forms a cave-in and the obsidian created falls down into the magma creating magma mist.

Periodic ammo refill problems are solved via adjusting the size of the water and magma cisterns your pump stacks draw from. Just set a dwarf to pull the lever on repeat when enemies pass below the "Dwarven Machine Gun" and enjoy your magma mist generator.
Obsidian doesn't melt in magma, nor do natural walls get destroyed on cave-in without digging stairs into them. It's going to start piling up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:07:37 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 11:36:18 am »

I have a theory of a 3-wide entry way that could be fun to try. :) Have a 10 long entry way made from a retractable bridge, and on the z-level below it have grates that are magma safe, then below that have your z-level of magma. For and extra challenge have the floor of the magma level made of a retractable bridge so you can drop the magma down and not have to wait for it to evaporate to college the goodies. :) I have no idea if it would ever work, but in theory you could make it all from obsidian (which you have the ability to make, if you were so inclined to) and I just think it would be awesome. The heat from the magma SHOULD harm the goblins, if I'm not mistaken? I do recall if you put a wood bridge over magma it tends to catch on fire, right?

This entire method hangs on the balance of whether or not the heat from magma raises, and that it raises through grates as well... So it would actually melt the skin off invaders or whatever. :p

How it could look:
B= bridge
G= grate
X= floodgate
W= wall
M= magma
Code: [Select]
z 0
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
z -1
GGG
GGG
GGG
GGG
GGG
GGG
GGG
GGG
GGG
GGG

z -2
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
BBB
WXW
WMW
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 12:18:32 pm »

Beside minecarts you may also try using catapults to deliver stones from afar to magma pits near the path to your entrance if you have enough space to be safe on distance of siege operators from attackers.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 05:45:57 pm »

You could generate the mist using !!goblins!!.
place a dodge me trap over magma.

mmmmmmmmmmmm
^^^^^^^^^^^^ <- optional ballista
mmmmmmmmmmmm

m: magma 1z below
^: weapon or spike trap (preferably with as many attacks as possible but can be low quality.
The irony of this kind of trap is that better dodgers are killed first.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 06:31:24 pm »

You could generate the mist using !!goblins!!.
place a dodge me trap over magma.

mmmmmmmmmmmm
^^^^^^^^^^^^ <- optional ballista
mmmmmmmmmmmm

m: magma 1z below
^: weapon or spike trap (preferably with as many attacks as possible but can be low quality.
The irony of this kind of trap is that better dodgers are killed first.
Won't these dodging attackers be able to catch using climbing skill and thus not fall? Maybe either smooth it up or make this corridor at least 5 tiles wide (1 wide of path + 2 both sides * 2 tiles, one to dodge, one to not catch wall).
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 07:50:49 pm »

After an unfortunate RL delay, the fortress is now two seasons in, and the construction is well along.  No deathtraps yet, but it has the basic amenities and drawbridges guarding the main (upper) entrance and the trade (lower) entrance.

And then when the trade caravan came along at the beginning of fall, I got another zinger for this place...a message I had never seen before "No outpost liaison?  How curious".  After a little research, I now realize that I picked a doomed dwarven civilization and now I'm the only outpost left, which means my current 16 dwarves are *it* until they start reproducing.

That ups the ante; my trap scheme needs to be absolutely air-tight, because I won't have the manpower to beat down any survivors, and I won't get any immigrants to replace my losses quickly.

[rubs hands together]
Pages: 1 [2]