Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Daycare Automation Question  (Read 614 times)

Friti

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Roo. Hop to it.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Daycare Automation Question
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »

A simple question this time.  I want to isolate my useless mouths Dwarven Children into a daycare/training facility in my fortress so that they can stop wandering off    stop getting kidnapped   stop getting viciously rended limb from limb can receive a proper education in a padded cell safe environment.

I've been using burrows and once a year or so rounding up all the little ones to be locked away indoctrinated for their (hopefully) useful development, but this turns out to be something of a chore to do manually.  Is there an automated method to assign children to a burrow and to unassign them when they're adults?  Something along the lines of looking at titles and if it says 'dwarven child' sending them to the gulag daycare (burrow) and maybe unassigning any beds they may have tried to claim in the meantime?  I'd even settle for such an option such as using Dwarf Therapist to mass-select all the kids and right-click assign them to a group like one does a military, but instead to a particular burrow.  Thoughts?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:55:49 pm by Friti »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Daycare Automation Question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:37:44 am »

You could do a bedroom with loads of beds,but a pressure plate in the doorway removes the floor temporarily. Make the room be outside the burrow you assign all your adults to, and make sure there are no free bedrooms in the adult burrow. The little kiddies should try to claim the free beds, fall into the hole, and be trapped, but that is still very manual and micromanagey.

Alternatively an incredibly complex but awesome solution would be to have individual 3*3 rooms which are designated as dormitories BUT if a child step on a certain pressure plate, a latch is activated and the room is sealed. if an adult walks on a second pressure plate within the room, the latch is deactivated and the contents may go free. This should be achievable with pressure plate weight triggers. The second pp will ensure that a child walking into the room can't trap an adult already inside, and that a child who grows up in captivity will be able to walk free after 11 years. The latch could also link to the upright spear repeater or a scare closet repeater or something.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game