Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forcing non-candy metal for artifact  (Read 828 times)

Draba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forcing non-candy metal for artifact
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:04 am »

My weaponsmith with a preference for maces got a fey mood and promptly claimed a magma forge.
The problem is, he likes maces and I have ~50 adamantium wafers. If I forbid every metal except the
few platinum bars I have in a stockpile he just sits there all day. The moment I claim the adamantium he
makes a beeline for it.

Is there any way to force him to use platinum?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing non-candy metal for artifact
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:17:03 pm »

Hmm. What other material does he want? If you let a dwarf start working and then forbid the primary material, the game will either use the next valid material or default to the first material it finds in the raws (in an unmodded game, this will be iron). So, if he wants some metal decorations, have him grab the platinum and then forbid the adamantine once he starts work.

This is something I haven't done in .40, but I don't think that aspect of the game has changed. Leave the worker at least one gathered material to work on, or the mood will stall and eventually fail.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:21:56 pm »

After the mood is announced it's too late to change his demands. The base material for a metalsmithing mood is the first of:

1-3 Adamantine wafers if any are available (not forbidden)
1-3 bars of a preferred metal, if any bars of it have been smelted at the fortress
1-3 metal bars (any metal)

In the third case (any metal bars) you can alter the base material by selectively forbidding/unforbidding stocks (the first item collected will be used as the base); in the other two you cannot. Even if you intend to use adamantine, it can be beneficial to allow the choice to "fall through" to the third case, to avoid wasting 3 adamantine wafers to forge a ring.

You can allow him to collect the adamantine, wait until he begins construction, then forbid the wafers--the artifact should fallback to iron, the "default" base metal (at least it was reported to in previous versions). In my experience, moody dwarves never demand the base material twice (that is, no metal bars to decorate a metal artifact), so you can't sneak in platinum that way.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:43:25 pm »

I think any mood will always choose adamantium once it is discovered, unless the dwarf has a specific preference otherwise.

So the only way to avoid using adamantine is not to find it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 03:59:44 pm »

Forbid all your adamantine. Including the one he picked up by going in the item menu and selecting the forge.

If your dwarf stops picking up stuff after that, then he WANTS adamantine. It's either he dies or your adamantine stocks go slightly down.