Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dabbling or novice metalsmith creating masterworks?  (Read 887 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Dabbling or novice metalsmith creating masterworks?
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:29:46 pm »

My metal smith died a while back so I let some dorfs with relatively high exp do his job. They were all dabbling when I told them to make some statues.
Then I noticed the message "Urist Bomrek has created a masterwork statue". He was novice metal smith when I checked him after the message.

Edit*

The dorf is a legendary lasher, cook and bone carver. So he has good creativity and intellect.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:41:12 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Dabbling or novice metalsmith creating masterworks?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:49:28 pm »

Yeah, it's that, partly.

Maybe he also likes the material he's working with, or likes statues.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 08:54:04 pm »

It can happen. Dwarves with good relevant stats or a liking for a relevant material or item* do produce high quality goods for their skill level.

Build that statue to keep it safe! Novices might produce masterworks, but they won't do so often.

*Colour preferences may or may not also come into play.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:56:02 pm »

No, he didn't like statues and metals.
So it is a proof that attributes actually matter.

Edit*

Sorry, he's a she. My mistake. She created a masterwork black bronze statue.

Bomrek Morulfarash likes porcelain, bronze, aventurine, the color dark blue, ballista parts, yaks for their shaggy hair and two-grain wheat for their beer. When possible she prefers to consume artichoke wine(what, not two-grain wheat beer?). She absolutely detests blood gnats.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:00:47 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!