Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, a clan of kangaroo men moved to my fort...  (Read 3075 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, a clan of kangaroo men moved to my fort...
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:56:24 pm »

Ten friendly kangaroo people climbed up a tree, jumped on my sky bridge, entered my fort and seem to have settled down in my underground forest. I have locked them inside so that they cannot escape. What attracted them to my fort? And more importantly, what should I do with them?

The kangaroo men on my bridge:
http://imgur.com/FY6oLNI

The kangaroo men entering my underground forest:
http://imgur.com/ZhJKxdn
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:14:45 pm by satan »
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, a clan of kangaroo men moved to my fort...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:36:18 am »

Try to make one into your mayor: mayors like that don't give mandates
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:21:59 am »

Do they come up on units screen as wild animal or friendly?

Also, if you put image tags around your links to the images themselves (add.png to the link) , the images display in your post, like this:
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:43:38 am »

Friendly, OP said.

I wonder if they joined your civillization or something, but I didn't think that update was in yet!  Maybe your civillization was conquered by kangaroos, or vice versa :p  Clearly something to look up in legends mode!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:49:43 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 12:03:06 pm »

Since they are friendly, the only way to cage them is by dropping them onto the trap.  From there... hmm.  Can you chain up friendlies?  Would be pretty funny to have a guard kangaroo.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »

This is sort of like when seven mountain gnomes shimmied their way past my marble walls and guard wolverines and camped out in my dining hall, drinking booze and scaring the animals. Oddly enough, my dwarves felt no fear from the presence of the gnomes, though my dogs managed to rip one to pieces.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:34 pm »

Perhaps they killed a forgotten beast or titan or minotaur or somesuch? I have a blind cave ogre that punched a forgotten beast to death that has a name and that my dwarves refuse to shoot at.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:55:51 am »

Friendlies can be odd. I don't see any harm in leaving them be to see what they'll do next. Might want to have an alternate entrance to the trading post though, just in case...

I'm reminded of the charming Pixar-like plump helmet men expedition.

edit: Poorly crafted link fixed.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:57:57 am by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:42:46 am »

I have belatedly perused the wiki on this topic and there is a giant list of what animals and animalpeople are hostile or not.  Kangaroo men, flying squirrel people, and most of the new kinds of animalmen are all "no".  Some of the older kinds of animalpeople, like antmen and batmen, are listed separately as "variable", which in my experience means "hostile unless something weird happened in worldgen".

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature

Almost no animals are hostile except things like badgers and alligators.  (Having hostile tags and !!RAGE!! tags explains a lot about badgers, too.)  It might be a bug at this point to have so many friendly animalmen, but I kind of like it.  Too bad you can't trade with them or anything, but I suppose that's coming.  So I guess they're acting like animals right now and going where they please, and not being hunted because, being thinking humanoids, your hunters don't consider them edible.

Dwarves don't seem to spook at animals as much in general anymore.  They will obviously spook at hostile animals but seem to know the difference now.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:50:17 am by Corona688 »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 11:07:45 am »

I wonder if these animalmen are derived from a template.  Kea men are thieving bastards, badger men (though not listed as hostile) apparently attack and rage.