Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What institutions in the US can help you find stuff from dead relatives?  (Read 1335 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My grandfather, before he died in 2000, interviewed most of his extended family about their lives and wrote down all the interviews in his journals. Most of his family died before him. His only remaining family are my mother, grandmother, and his brother. I've asked all of them if they know what happened to his journals, but none do. They were extensive and would not have been easily lost or "misplaced." My question is, how would you go about tracking something like this down? I don't even know where to start. Are there any institutions that keep records of property that dead people owned in their lifetimes (and would willing to part with this)? Maybe they're sitting under a bed in an old house somewhere. Or am I stuck asking my way up the extended family tree and hoping someone knows about this?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:59:07 pm by freeformschooler »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: What institutions in the US can help you find stuff from dead relatives?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:06:20 pm »

The NSA, maybe?

In all seriousness, a solicitor might have records of what was in his estate and what went to which beneficiary. Otherwise I can't think of anything.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:01 pm »

Yea, Id start with the records of his estate.
  You should let us know how it goes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 01:43:32 pm »

You could go to the graverobbers association of America  whoever was his lawyer/helped him draft his will.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:49:14 pm »

You could go to the graverobbers association of America  whoever was his lawyer/helped him draft his will.
That's what I meant. I forget that you don't call them solicitors.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 03:01:37 pm »

Wherever he lived you might find some records kept within the local court of probate.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 04:42:14 pm »

Was he living in his own home/apartment when he died?   Find out from mother/grandmother/brother who was the executor for the estate, and ask them who cleared out his house - that's the person to ask about what happened to specific things.   And find out if there's boxes of stuff stored somewhere, maybe in somebody's attic or basement.   If a lot of people made passes through the house to get what stuff, try to find out everybody who did and ask them, but it sounds like you did that.  But don't get your hopes up, a lot of times people are in a hurry to clear out the house and donate or toss most of the contents.  Although if it was with photos/family memorabilia, usually SOMEBODY in the family tries to save that stuff.   One danger is if they were in a bookshelf with a bunch of other books, whoever was clearing the house might have put them all in a box without noticing and donated it.   So definitely ask who got the photos/family stuff - they  MIGHT be  mixed in with photo albums or something.   Anyway good luck...