Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hurt my back a bit, any suggestions?  (Read 1572 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Hurt my back a bit, any suggestions?
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »

On Saturday, I was at a trampoline place, and decided to play popcorn. Everyone around me managed to bounce me like 3 feet into the air, but I landed a bit funny and crawled away to a safer area.

It's now Monday and my back still hurts. It hurts to stand and walk, and hurts even more, should I try to run or jump. Any suggestions for the pain? I've already taken a painkiller, but that didn't do much to help at all.

I'm still hyper-flexible as ever, but it hurts when I do anything walking or standing. I can bend forward quite a bit without pain, and backward just fine, though.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hurt my back a bit, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:30:16 pm »

Uhh, let's see, 1st suggestion: don't be running and jumping?   Take it REALLY easy for a few days, chances are it's torn muscles and will heal - if it's not getting better duh, see a doctor...    If it's a joint you can cut down the pain a bit and have it heal faster by taping it up to restrict the motion, but you want it done by somebody who knows what they're doing because if you do it wrong it could be detrimental. 

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 06:12:46 am »

Some kind of anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen will both help with the pain and speed up healing. The first dose rarely helps in my experience, but the second and third will (follow the instructions of course). A product like Deep Heat applied to the area can help. A hot bath is also great for muscle pain.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 06:51:12 am »

It's generally a bad idea to ask medical advice on the Internet. Mostly because you have no idea knowing how reliable any of this is.
That said, I will second what both Vattic and gimlet have said. And if it doesn't clear up in a couple of days, see a doctor. Seriously. Screwing up your back can and will haunt you for the rest of your life.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:30:29 am »

Rub the muscle and apply ice to the injured area 3 times a day. 5 minute sessions each time. If it doesn't get better in a few days you might need to see a professional.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:34:35 am »

Uhh, let's see, 1st suggestion: don't be running and jumping?
Already messed up in those regards.

The bus had a new bus driver this morning and came 5 minutes early, and would have left me if I didn't run to it. Well, after a couple of seconds of running, I felt a very sharp pain in my back, and continued limp-running to the bus. I came home early after 1st period, got a small back rub, and some "Icy-Hot", then laid down on a mat on the floor. My back still hurts, even after a painkiller. It sucks even more that I have trouble swallowing pills.

Edit: Just had a spell of dizzyness, and my vision blurred. wtf.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:37:39 am by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 06:08:35 am »

Uhh, let's see, 1st suggestion: don't be running and jumping?
Already messed up in those regards.

The bus had a new bus driver this morning and came 5 minutes early, and would have left me if I didn't run to it. Well, after a couple of seconds of running, I felt a very sharp pain in my back, and continued limp-running to the bus. I came home early after 1st period, got a small back rub, and some "Icy-Hot", then laid down on a mat on the floor. My back still hurts, even after a painkiller. It sucks even more that I have trouble swallowing pills.

Edit: Just had a spell of dizzyness, and my vision blurred. wtf.

That may be pretty bad actually, or you may be panicking and it's nothing. Ask a pro, at the hospital I think. You may have an hernia or a lumbago, I've had a pretty bad one that needed surgery a few month ago. If any limb start getting unresponsive rush to the hospital : you need surgery asap.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:18:46 am »

Assuming nothing boney is more than bruised . . .

Stretch.  Yoga poses or over a railing or pole or (my choice) car.  Get the muscle moving and increase bloodflow to it.

Massage.  Same concept.  A good massage hurts, frankly, but after its heavenly.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 10:42:39 am »

Hopefully it's just a pulled muscle, as the pain was pretty sharp when I was running, and lasted a while. It does hurt more to lay down than to sit or stand, which is odd. But then it hurts like a bitch whenever I sneeze, so that's an obvious problem.
Meow.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:05:45 pm »

Stretching is good. If it does hurt excessively when you strech, stop : you don't want to rip off something while stretching...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 08:00:21 pm »

I injured my back a few years ago just stretching my shoulders and neck while at a desk. Turning my head, moving my right arm in certain ways, laying down, all of that hurt very badly.

I tried stretching it out, but think I made it worse. Warm showers helped with pain. Massaging the general area might have helped, but I'm not sure. It stuck with me for many months, but finally went away during a backpacking trip. Don't know if it was the weight of my pack on my shoulders, sleeping on a very firm surface at night (rocks), or some combination of stretching, posture, and general exercise. Or maybe it had been healed, and just left a knot behind that needed to be worked out. But it pretty much went away. Sometimes I'll tweak my shoulder in a way that makes it flare up again, but it's not like it was.

Definitely take it easy, though, and do what you can to build good posture and all that. If it sticks with you and it's an option, checking in with a chiropractor or general physician might be a good idea.