Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Reach for the Stars [Suggestion Game]  (Read 11770 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Reach for the Stars [Suggestion Game]
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:22 pm »

Or, We could just conquer the World and then work on expanding to outer space...
We have 335 man days worth of labor.

Not going to take over the world with that.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2015, 03:02:14 pm »

Or, we could explore shoreline geology and see if there are any such formations in easy underwater reach.

Or we could show them our scaffold and how we plan on using their sacred iron to learn about the sacred moons.

Or just bribe some of the less then upright members.  In private some people may be a little less pious.

No need to get violent!

Possible Missions:

Shoreline Prospecting - No cost, 20 Manufacturing
Prospecting in these times generally involved digging a really big hole down to the bedrock. Not the most interesting of jobs, but nonetheless worth it if something of note was discovered. The sticky tar fields of Iquggol may be a place to start, as is the Nottlilo outcropping, where iron-rich ore may be buried in the rockface just cubits deep.

This is a special quest, and you can have workers work on it. Each worker will provide 1 manufacturing in addition to the project lead's skills.

Shady People - ? Anth, No Stat Required
While the alchemists and physicians of the land advise against the mass production of metal, there are some who believe a shakeup is in order. The monasteries have kept the resources of the land to themselves for too long. Rlothot, a businessman with many contacts, owns a small patch of land with some iron supplies, but would also be willing to help find and subsidize a team of bandits to seize one of the mystics' holdings should you provide him with some kind of... insurance against possible losses.

This will only require 1 turn to complete regardless of project leader.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2015, 04:10:16 pm »

Borli probably knows where to get more beach squid.

Achutei can probably get that scaffolding built faster.

We need our own supply of iron, lets not deal with businessmen or zealots.  Orthek and some new workers should be able to find some.

And since Borli is the only one working on a science project and we do not have any administrative projects right now, lets have Thulataru work on that computer.

20 workers for now seems like a good amount, we should need the labor if we are going to set up mining and building.

Projects:

Flammable Air - Borli

Pierce the Heavens! Part A - Achutei
- 10 workers

Shoreline Prospecting - Orthek
- 10 workers

Navigation Computer Part A - Thulataru

Hire 10 more full time workers for Shoreline Prospecting

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2015, 09:03:44 pm »

-snip-

Flammable Air - Borli

Pierce the Heavens! Part A - Achutei
- 10 workers

Shoreline Prospecting - Orthek
- 10 workers

Navigation Computer Part A - Thulataru

Hire 10 more full time workers for Shoreline Prospecting
+1. In addition, create a "partially completed projects folder" for the council to use to keep track of projects that were dropped partway through, so that they can be picked back up and continued later.
Attempt to Hire Mercenaries to Deal with the Mystics. Science is more important than Insane Cultism.
I don't think we have the resources to eliminate them. Our total budget is 335 worker/days. Hard to civilize people on that budget.

Let's just explore our own spot.
I would like to vote an automatic -1 against all future actions that involve violence, unless there are drastic extenuating circumstances.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2015, 03:38:14 am »

Attempt to Hire Mercenaries to Deal with the Mystics. Science is more important than Insane Cultism.
I don't think we have the resources to eliminate them. Our total budget is 335 worker/days. Hard to civilize people on that budget.

Let's just explore our own spot.
I would like to vote an automatic -1 against all future actions that involve violence, unless there are drastic extenuating circumstances.

Meanwhile I am perfectly open to violence! 

After we have more resources or missiles or battlestars or something.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:30:11 am by VoidSlayer »

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2015, 10:19:57 am »

I'm in favor of sending thugs as well. These religious people oppose us, so it's in our long term intrest to criple them.

We needn't pay Rlothot entierly in Anths; we can give him a share of the metal. If we go prospecting at the same time, we can give him some of the prospected metal if it fails.

I say we send Thulataru to strike a deal with Rlothot and put the computer on hold for now.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2015, 02:15:54 pm »

The inhabitants of the island have more of an outdated view of how the world works, akin to 17th century platonic number mysticism and Aristotelian physics.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2015, 09:07:54 pm »

Or, we could explore shoreline geology and see if there are any such formations in easy underwater reach.

Or we could show them our scaffold and how we plan on using their sacred iron to learn about the sacred moons.

Or just bribe some of the less then upright members.  In private some people may be a little less pious.

No need to get violent!
That second idea could work and might get us some religious fanatics support. So I say we send Achutei to talk with them again instead of attacking first.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 11:38:18 am »

What projects have not been taken up yet?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 02:48:42 pm »

The last post lists a few.

The problem is that I haven't been able to update this for a while for a number of IRL reasons. First and foremost I stayed up pretty late last night finishing some homework, and I have almost no free time today. :C

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »

Well that was a surprise. Class just got cancelled. That gives me a couple hours.

Spoiler: Current Missions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Council (click to show/hide)

Council Attributes:
+35 Administration (-25)
+35 Manufacturing
+55 Science (-10)
+10 Diplomacy

Diplomacy may not go below 0

Leader Status:
Thulataru - Idle (-25 A, -10 S while working)
Hathlag - Flammable Air
Orthek - Idle (+20 S while working on a drive or heavymachinery)
Achutei - The Crucible
Borli - Explosive Recompression

Current Funds: 275 Anth (-10/turn from workers)
Agoran currency represents working-class labor. Each Anth is the cost of employing a worker for one day. Part-time workers are paid in advance when hired to a project. Full-time workers always take precedence over part-time workers when it comes to labor.

Current Full-Time Workers: 20
Hiring a part-time worker for a single project only will cost extra funds to train the workers. By hiring full-time workers and paying them constantly, we avoid the problem of training costs and delays.

Active Projects:
Shoreline Prospecting - 10/20 Man - Using 10 workers - Lead: Orthek
Navigation Computer - 25/50 Adm - Lead: Thulutaru

((10 idle workers))

Projects proposed earlier:
Find a Lensmaker - 20 Anth total cost, 30 Administration needed.
Find a Glassmaker - No cost, 25 Administration needed.
Craft Lenses - Requires glass, 10 Manufacturing needed.
Study the Skies - Requires Telescope, 50 Science needed.

Date 95|43

Manufacturing Roll: 10+35 = [45] : Mediocre

Orthek looked across the scaffold as the foundations were set. Channels were dug into the ground and filled with a mixture of sand and gravel, left to dry. Kelpwood logs were fixed in place as the concrete cured, but only until after everything was set did Orthek notice that one of the beams had deviated completely from its intended angle. Oh well, the council will have to make do.

A small child appears in the bushes and slithers away before the workers can chase it off. Nobody gives it much thought until a famous local physicist appears, Orthek immediately crawling over to ask why he had come.

Physicist: I hear you are building a tower to the sky, to see what lies beyond.
Orthek: Just gravitation, actually. We are going to take measurements of fall times and compare them, then stick the data into a trend-finding core and see what we get.
Physicist: Trusting a computer to do science. That's so naive. I regret to inform you that the people of my island do not take kindly to your... violation of the beach. I request that you take the tower down as soon as you can to avoid lasting harm to our reputations, both yours and mine.

Achutei arrived at the project later in the day, and was able to better organize the workers and have them finish just in time for nightfall. This night was particularly cloudy.

Science Roll: [71] : Good

Borli was tasked with finishing the project, as Hathlag had enough explosions for the the time being. Skilled in marine biology, he knew exactly how to track beath squid, and ended up finding a whole colony of them just under the sand. Beach squid can be harvested by squeezing them very hard, or by killing them. Judging from the burnt corpses at the previous setup, Hathlag opted to kill the bastards, but Borli had a better idea: He found a relatively flat stump and used a thick bundle of kelp as a roller to squeeze the extract from the beach squid with. Not only did this save energy, but it did not anger the colony when its members were returned, thus posing no threat of attack.

Place of interest: Beach Squid Colony

Manufacturing Roll: [135] (Phenomenal!)

Orthek organized a crew of workers with which to ravage the beaches, turning boulders, examining rock mollusk, and digging random holes everywhere, all in the name of science. And in fact, they discover clues pointing to a gargantuan deposit of hematite right here--underneath one of the most beautiful vistas this island has.

It may be in your interest to look elsewhere, or to focus on mining here and not upsetting the locals.

Administration Roll: [56] : Mediocre

Thulutaru got to work drafting a design. Using nested Karnaugh-maps and other engineering shorthands, he finished most of the work today on the processing unit. It will need memory and programming, but those two tend to go hand-in-hand. A further complication arose when he calculated the sensitivity of the design based on its material properties. The design won't work properly apart from a calm sea, because the power supply (a big bucket of water) provides variable input power.

This might require a solution.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2015, 03:28:53 am »

Can we use the squid oil to melt ice for the computer?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2015, 02:52:18 pm »

The squid oil contains a chemical used in a reaction to produce hydrogen. I improperly suggested the squid contain a base--they actually contain the acid used as a basis for the reaction.

Hathlag left behind notes after notes detailing the properties of the squid. Burning her hand and creating explosive gas were some of the processes observed, but alas, burning was not one of them. Perhaps some of the native plant life can be refined into a flammable oil.

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2015, 12:38:31 am »

Put the 10 idle workers to searching for materials that burn for a long period time.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]