Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird accidents  (Read 951 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird accidents
« on: January 24, 2015, 02:34:18 pm »

My new fortress is suffering a spate of accidents, resulting in one death, one spinal injury, plus several non-serious incidents.

I only noticed something was happening when I spotter a child crawling around with a spinal injury, and checked the reports and saw the cause:

The (chicory) strikes The Dwarven Baby in the lower body, bruising the muscle and tearing apart the lower spine's nervous tissue!
The Dwarven Child's left foot takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle through the x(sheep wool shoe)x!

The Dwarven Child is no longer stunned.

The fatality was similar:
The (pendant amaranth beer Barrel (avocado wood) (#47)) strikes The Stonecrafter in the neck and the injured part is crushed!
An artery has been opened by the attack!

Spoiler: Memorial (click to show/hide)

All the other lesser injuries and incidents are similar (someone struck by seeds, stone blocks, etc) and all occur on a ramp with a hatch cover above it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Can anyone explain what is going on, and why this seemingly benign bit of architecture is so dangerous?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Weird accidents
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:40:59 pm »

I've never seen it myself, but I've heard that putting hatches over ramps basically causes everybdoy in your fortress to kill themselves falling down it, so that's the problem.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 03:26:04 pm »

See DFwiki page about hatches: "A dwarf standing on a floor hatch over stairs will not start falling if the hatch is opened. A dwarf standing on a floor hatch above a ramp or open space will start falling if the hatch is opened."

It is also usually bad idea to have a storage area over hatch. Once that hatch is opened items piled on it or units standing on it will fall down ... on the unit opening it from below. Though, as is standard in DF, everything can be weaponized.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 07:27:24 pm »

Ah, thanks.

Hatches removed.

Now I just need to find a way to deal with the crippled stressed haggard tantruming 2yo that's  crawling about the fortress viciously attacking people.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 07:58:00 pm »

Children of the Corn.  Standard for Dwarf Fortress, nothing to see here.  Move along.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.