Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Housework for dwarf children  (Read 1890 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Housework for dwarf children
« on: January 12, 2015, 06:37:50 am »

Dwarf children can already deconstruct walls,floors,etc. and harvest plants from farms. I would suggest getting a bit of cleaning labour out of them would be a small step that would make fortresses less vomit strewn, and also make dwarf children more popular.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Housework for dwarf children
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:48:19 am »

+1 for even more child labor

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:25:08 am »

I agree. This game is based on medieval Europe. Children should also farm and do whatever they're physically able to.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:34:18 am »

I agree. This game is based on medieval Europe. Children should also farm and do whatever they're physically able to.
It seems that tasks will eventually require tools (though this requires some way of relieving the player of micromanaging the tool production), so putting size requirements in the tools will allow children to gradually take on a trade.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:39:00 am »

Also sizes and weights for objects so children can haul according to their size.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:21:20 pm »

Agreed.  It would be nice to not rely on DFHack to get the badger blood off the mountainside.  I'd also like to see them doing other labors that wouldn't be too hard or dangerous for kids.  Milking, fishing, herbalism, maybe pottery or glazing...

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:03:42 pm »

Ah, mankind! Pushing moral boundaries as far as we can push them just to see if we can get away with it. Man up Urist McBaby. You've got work to do. I'll change your diaper when you get home from the mines.

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal
And the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"
-Tennessee Ernie Ford

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:49:10 pm »

Ah, mankind! Pushing moral boundaries as far as we can push them just to see if we can get away with it. Man up Urist McBaby. You've got work to do. I'll change your diaper when you get home from the mines.

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal
And the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"
-Tennessee Ernie Ford
The suggestion isn't to implement baby coal miners, but instead simply make children clean up all the vomit and blood that fortresses get covered in so they're not completely useless.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 04:23:46 am »

The suggestion isn't to implement baby coal miners, but instead simply make children clean up all the vomit and blood that fortresses get covered in so they're not completely useless.
And FB extract. I'm sure it's what we're all thinking.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 07:07:06 am »

Well, they do help in harvesting already.

Picking up stray socks and worn clothes to store them would also be nice, but to be honest probably completely unrealistic. ;)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:15:42 am »

I would love it if there was a ragpicker labour specifically for those pesky tattered clothes

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 11:45:48 pm »

[ETHIC:HARD_CHILD_LABOR:ONLY_IF_SANCTIONED]
[ETHIC:SOFT_CHILD_LABOR:ACCEPTABLE]
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.