Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 3439 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »

Oh, I gave up on that one a long time ago. I mostly just write about elves and robots now...I've matured a lot since then, you see?  :)

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »

You know though, as far as embarrassing attempts at fiction written by teenagers go, that excerpt was much better than the Eye of Argon. I'd say it was at least slightly superior to my own attempts at that age. It at least gets credit for being original. I was writing RPG fanfic back then. I still live with the shame.

Oh, and before that, there was the Starflight novel I tried to write when I was about twelve or thirteen. The less said about that the better, really. I think the hero was a Thrynn, because lizardmen r00l.

(No, I'm not sharing any of these things. All are long lost. Which is a good thing for all of us.)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »

My brother and I kept flight logs from Starflight.  We drew pictures of every creature we found on the planets.  I think we figured out how to get rid of the crystal planet in something like fifteen minutes or a half hour just so we could gather life forms without worrying about the stupid plot.  There were thousands of critters, and you could find the same ones on the same planets even if you quit and start over.  Then people stopped using fractals and random generation and started sucking forever.  Even SF2 was garbage.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 09:23:00 pm »

I liked that story  :)

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 12:33:00 am »

I managed to read the first five or so lines of The Eye of Argon, and had to stop for two reasons. The first one you'll probably guess, but in addition I started to have scary flashbacks about my own "epic" short stories I made in my early teens..

I had just that "trying to write like Robert E. Howard (and in my case H.P. Lovecraft, too) without really knowing most of the words" problem. I'd still say I did better, even though I wrote in English, which isn't my native tongue. Anyway, thank god the stories are all probably lost forever now..

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 10:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gezol:
<STRONG>You know though, as far as embarrassing attempts at fiction written by teenagers go, that excerpt was much better than the Eye of Argon. I'd say it was at least slightly superior to my own attempts at that age. It at least gets credit for being original. I was writing RPG fanfic back then. I still live with the shame.

</STRONG>

Don't feel bad. I was also writing a lot of Lion King fanfic around that time. And no, you can't read it. It's not even hilariously bad, just the plain ordinary kind.

quote:
Originally posted by Aristharus:
<STRONG>
Anyway, thank god the stories are all probably lost forever now..

</STRONG>

Yes, because it'd be horribly embarrasing if you were to post them on an internet forum for people to snicker at, right?   :)

quote:
Originally posted by Gezol:
<STRONG>
(No, I'm not sharing any of these things. All are long lost. Which is a good thing for all of us.)</STRONG>

Yeah, I bet they're lost.   ;) Come on, seriously, no one else wants to join in with the posting of puerile scribblings? It's fun!

[ June 10, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 04:26:00 pm »

No, it's true. Okay, so I might be making excuses like this even if I actually did have that stuff, but it really is. They were all written on old computers I no longer have, and I was pretty haphazard about backing stuff up. And I never printed anything, because I never finished anything.

I probably would post stuff from the Starflight novel if it still existed, though. I think the plan was just to do a straight novelization of Starflight 2. My 13-year-old fanboy self felt that there was no improving on perfection. And the hero was a Thrynn, because lizardmen r00l. That can not be emphasized enough. He had a "hilarious" rivalry with a Veloxi crewman. I think there might not have been any human crewmembers at all, come to think of it. Aliens were cooler. It was going to be really epic. I was planning to somehow get it published as the official novelization. I think it wasn't too much worse than a lot of those novelizations are, anyway...

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 03:08:00 am »

quote:
Yes, because it'd be horribly embarrasing if you were to post them on an internet forum for people to snicker at, right?   :)

Think of something very similar to The Eye of Argon by some Finnish guy who actually has the patience to check what all the used words mean first.

Actually, because of the patience I'd say it really wasn't as bad as The Eye of Argon. It was corny, cheesy and embarrassing, but for a non-English teenager the language used was pretty good. I never even back then really focused on the story. I read too much Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft in English at the time (I still do), developed a love for a certain use of the English language and wanted to write something that would sound like them.

EDIT: Before someone complains about us going off-topic, yeah, Spore sounds cool, I'm eagerly waiting for it.

[ June 12, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Pages: 1 [2]