Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to construct customizable signposts  (Read 744 times)

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ability to construct customizable signposts
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:57:07 pm »

I think it would be a good addition to fortress mode if the player were able to construct freestanding or wall-mounted signs that would read out a specific message which would be entered in by the player.

Examples of potential uses include

Signs explaining the direction of certain rooms to help later traversing of the fort in adventure mode

Signs to help the player in fortress mode remember exactly which lever had which effect when pulled

Signs that could be briefly read to explain the contents of custom stockpiles

They would also have a myriad number of applications in dwarf fortress games that are played in succession by multiple players, it would help people who just got the fort have a source of info about what stuff does what and where things are and the purpose of certain rooms and areas and so forth.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to construct customizable signposts
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:53:13 pm »

I think this has been proposed several times before. And yes, it would be most helpful. Perhaps specific engravings(on the walls or the floor) could be of use too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:58:16 pm »

As someone who has a lot of attention and memory troubles IRL, I would definitely appreciate it.  Even if it was just to say "future location of military stockpile" or "leave this pond alone so the turtle supply can replenish itself".

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:14:41 am »

As in a more in-game version of the Notes menu? Yeah, I can dig that, especially if you could have them marked in a number of different ways (adding an engraving, putting a marker stone, attaching a wooden or slate sign, etc).