Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death Chamber Ideas!  (Read 1575 times)

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death Chamber Ideas!
« on: January 08, 2015, 05:50:11 pm »

So I'm at that point in the game where I'm going to have a bunch of creatures trapped in cages that I do not want.  I want to make a !!fun!! death room for them.  Does anyone have any links or ideas for how it could be done?  Screenshots?  Here's what I want inside of it;

-Able to throw creatures down into it
-Have a bridge to throw evil rotten no good idiotic dwarfs goblins down
-Place for my military to enter and have some fun
-A !!fun!! area for my creatures to BATTLE!
-Maybe a way to drown 'em

Oh and I don't want one of those automatic legendary dwarf thingimaboberts.  I want to have !!fun!! while training them :D

Post any ideas you got for me.  Links to some designs too!  Screenshots are loved dearly!

Thanks!

Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Death Chamber Ideas!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 05:55:26 pm »

drop them into a minecart track maze swarming with max-speed minecarts, each one containing a military dwarf
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 06:10:28 pm »

drop them into a minecart track maze swarming with max-speed minecarts, each one containing a military dwarf

This would likely be FUN for the dwarves too. Everyone loves an equal opportunity provider.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:23:34 pm »

A room with a 1 tile wide walking space and fortifications surrounding a central area where you drop prisoners onto spikes. Don't forget to give the audience crossbows, it's a participation game.

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:39:29 pm »

I think some of you got this a bit wrong... I want it to be !!fun!!

I want to watch how they survive in my dwarf-made death chamber... remember, it needs to be entertaining for both me and my dwarfs!
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 06:42:29 pm »

In that case, how about an outdoor meeting area where you drop goblins via pitting about 20-25 z levels, where they either die in front of your dwarves (possibly with tons of gibs) or survive and get punched to death... well, unless you decide not to disarm them beforehand or make the drop smaller, in which case some serious !!Fun!! could ensue...

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 07:08:30 pm »

build the cages around the trade depot, connect them to a lever.  When the elves show up at the depot, pull the lever :D
hamster cheese supplies are low

Csponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:33:28 pm »

I currently have a few dwarfs with several year long jail sentances, and another dwarf that seems to be bugged as he's been in jail so long, and doesn't seem to have a sentance pending. The jail is also just below my barracks, and it doubles as a fighting arena. Whenever I get a particularly bad dwarf that is always depressed and doing tantrums, I sentance him to death via captured creature pit. I realise their deaths will make any family members in my fort disgruntled, and thus I allow them to squad up to defend their sentanced family member in the pit alongside them. Ofcourse, un-trained civ dwarfs aren't usually up to task, and their family !FUN! is usually short lived. The mess in the cell is then left to be easily mopped up by a rookie squad, though it is usually left stained with blood coloring the once pearlescant white marble a deep red.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 02:12:39 am »

Put them into a one-tile pit and use it as a dump zone for random objects that you don't need. Make a !!science!! project out of determining what falling objects are deadlier than others, and what heights a given object needs to fall from to fracture a skull. How do lead goblets, lead bars, lead blocks, lead statues, and boulders of galena compare for falling impact?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:19:53 am by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 05:10:44 am »

Magma.

I am ashamed nobody mentioned magma in this thread.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 05:35:51 am »

Place an artifact made of wood, cloth, bone, or a flamable stone like lignite in the center of the room. Then drop magma on it so it burns forever. The smoke from the fire will move randomly before dissipating and any creature it touches will be frozen in place until the smoke clears, resulting in fun, FUN, and quite possibly !!FUN!! as they just stand around asphyxiating while there's a battle going on around them.

For added FUN, set up an automated minecart system in the room to make standing in place even more dangerous, and periodically drop logs in from the ceiling to spread the blaze (and smoke) around. Bonus !!FUN!! if the minecarts are flammable, it'd be the highest stakes game of dodgeball ever.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:45:37 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 08:45:46 am »

I suggest making a dwarven (read: magma) whirlpool bath inside it.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 09:03:29 am »

Here is your mega project death room:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wasp_Factory#Plot

"The 'Wasp Factory' of the title is a huge clock face encased in a glass box and salvaged from the local dump. Behind each of the 12 numerals is a trap which leads to a different ritual death (for example burning, crushing, or drowning in Frank's urine) for the wasp that Frank puts into the hole at the center within tubes. Frank believes the death 'chosen' by the wasp predicts something about the future."

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 07:29:28 am »

As a dedicated unicorn rancher, I tend to have this problem a lot.  If it's, like, little gnomes or something, I'll try to let them go free.  If it's animals that are useless to me, I trade them to the next caravan.  If it's potentially dangerous humanoids, they get a friendly introduction to my military.

However, it's my dream to one day have a pit of black mambas.  You could also use crocodilians, unicorns, giant toads...the list goes on.