Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf don't want to drink  (Read 2335 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf don't want to drink
« on: January 09, 2015, 12:49:30 pm »

Hi all!

Why one of my dwarves don't want to drink booze?

- Here is a lot of booze in the fortress
- This dwarf is not assigned to any burrow or squad so he can access any part of the fortress like other dwarves
- He's not doing anything atm

- He's not injured

He was cave-ined some time ago but all injuries are already gone. Maybe he has smth like hidden injury not shown in the "Wounds" menu of this dwarf?

Why?

Here is the game pack contains the save with this dwarf (look at the last generated world and find him on the trade depot) -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijuk6rcjidwg11w/df_40_23_win_save.zip?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf don't want to drink
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »

Check your dwarf's relations screen (z -> r). Does he worship a diety whose "view" screen lists one or more of their followers as being cursed in some way? Did he arrive at your fortress with an unusually wide assortment of civilian and/or social skills? Does his Thoughts and Processes list him as being a member or former member of a very large number of towns/civilizations?

If so, I recommend sealing your mason off behind a wall and forgetting he ever existed.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:30:30 pm »

Is it all the same kind of booze?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:48:54 pm »

Check your dwarf's relations screen (z -> r). Does he worship a diety whose "view" screen lists one or more of their followers as being cursed in some way?

No, although one of his deities was a member of a very large number of civilizations.

Did he arrive at your fortress with an unusually wide assortment of civilian and/or social skills?

No.

Does his Thoughts and Processes list him as being a member or former member of a very large number of towns/civilizations?

No.

You can check this out in the save attached to the previous message.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 02:49:35 pm »

Is it all the same kind of booze?

No. Could it be a reason of such behavior btw?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »

Unless things have changed in the 2014 release, dwarves will, if forced to drink the same type of alcohol for a long period of time, start to prefer drinking water which they will only do when very thirsty.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:45:05 pm »

Unless things have changed in the 2014 release, dwarves will, if forced to drink the same type of alcohol for a long period of time, start to prefer drinking water which they will only do when very thirsty.

Are you sure? I don't see any info about it in wiki.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 06:30:10 pm »

Any ideas about this situation? It looks like a bug for me because there should be any wound shown in the corresponding menu or smth like this to make dwarf to refuse drink.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:51:59 pm »

Hi all!

Why one of my dwarves don't want to drink booze?

- Here is a lot of booze in the fortress
- This dwarf is not assigned to any burrow or squad so he can access any part of the fortress like other dwarves

Erm,
"trade burrow"
assigned citizens:
Aban Obokelis, Mason.

Unassigned her and she grabbed a drink and went planting seeds.

Here is the game pack contains the save with this dwarf (look at the last generated world and find him on the trade depot) -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/ijuk6rcjidwg11w/df_40_23_win_save.zip?dl=0

Might have been better to zip and upload only the region folder. People around here _probably_ have the game installed somewhere.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:55 pm »

I saw that message in game, several times.
But that only happened when my fort ran out of booze.
At first I thought it was a bug that dorfs who were forced to drink water complained about drinking the same old booze.

Has anyone confirmed this yet?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 08:47:00 pm »

I saw that message in game, several times.
But that only happened when my fort ran out of booze.
At first I thought it was a bug that dorfs who were forced to drink water complained about drinking the same old booze.

Has anyone confirmed this yet?

Back in DF 2010 I had this happen to one of my first forts. My interpretation of the events was that I had only one type of booze, and a dwarf got sick of it and stopped drinking it, started drinking water, got sick of it, and died of dehydration. I'm told that they won't refuse it and die if thats all there is, so maybe my supply was insufficient. They will undoubtedly start drinking water if there is only one type of booze, dying because of it may not actually happen though.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 08:51:14 pm »

Well I guess that feature was to prevent player from plump-helmeting too much?

plump helmet biscuits
plump helmet stews
plump helmet roasts
plump helmet spawn biscruits
plump helmet spawn stews
plump helmet spawn roasts
blahblah...
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 09:10:17 pm »

To the best of my knowledge and according to science, it's not a feature at all:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95405.msg2712856#msg2712856

The premise was tested for five fortress years and fell through completely - dwarfs with access to only one type of booze kept drinking that booze (while complaining) instead of resorting to water or dehydration.

Issues with dwarfs not drinking extant booze were likely misinterpreted issues with insufficient barrels, burrows and the like.

By the by, to prevent it from getting lost in the prattle:

The issue of the OP was quite simple - a forgotten burrow. The problem dwarf _was_ burrowed at the trade depot.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 03:53:03 am »

Oh, guys, sorry about it, thanks a lot.