Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to remove floors tiles  (Read 9116 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unable to remove floors tiles
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:01:01 am »

Hi all!

I've contructed floors over natural up-down stairs some time ago to prevent dwarves from accessing lower levels of the fortress, but now I need to deconstruct it. Unfortunately I noticed that dwarves can't access floors tiles for some reason so they unable to deconstruct it:

Z-6

Z-7

Why? What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to remove floors tiles
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:10:00 am »

Guys? Anybody know what should I do in this case?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:34:29 am »

Hey-o. If you have constructed floors over your Up/down stairways the dwarves no longer have any way to go DOWN to the level with the floor tiles. :P

You will have to dig out a new stairway to one side. Then you can deconstruct the floor tiles and replace them with constructed up/down stairs.

P.S. I recommend putting in hatches every few levels. If you lock (forbid passage) on all hatches across a stairway building destroyers can't break them down to get into your fort.
()==[:::::::::::::>

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:43:45 am »

P.S. I recommend putting in hatches every few levels. If you lock (forbid passage) on all hatches across a stairway building destroyers can't break them down to get into your fort.

Even forgotten beasts? Should I close it or just leave it open for this?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:55:28 am »

Should do. The theory is that nothing underneath a hatch can destroy that hatch _unless_ there is another route by which it could reach on top of the hatch. So if you only have one main stairwell then placing hatches across it and closing all of them (forbid passage) no building destroyers can get above them from below.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:58:33 am »

AFAIK, for all building destroyers: if it a hatch over stairway, forbid it to keep it closed and if there is no other way to get it, building destroyers won't be able to get through it from below. As ptb_ptb said.

See Building destroyer article in DF wiki for graphical explanation.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)