Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That... probably shouldn't have happened--BUT IT WAS AWESOME!  (Read 1065 times)

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That... probably shouldn't have happened--BUT IT WAS AWESOME!
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:01:53 pm »

So my map had some gigantic tortoises on it that I went and trapped. All but one that is, and he decided to hang out on my map forever and a day, hiding in his shell.

A year later, I'm getting my marksdwarf squad together and decide to train them on the tortoise. I figure him being in his shell would make him super hard to kill and level them up.

Of course, half of them decided to just beat the thing with their crossbows despite having plenty of ammo.

But then it happened. Something that made my jaw drop (and remember I've been playing DF for YEARS):

-The flying -bronze bolt- strikes the turtle in the shell...

...the severed part flies off in an arc.

She shot the turtle's ENTIRE SHELL right off his freaking body. He was then beaten to death easily as that shell was pretty much his only defense.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That... probably shouldn't have happened--BUT IT WAS AWESOME!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:11:38 pm »

nice one  :D

Far more mundane, but I *love* when my crossbowdwarves squad open fires on Keas and sever a wing.  I hate those thieves and the notion of them losing a wing and crashing to the earth pleases me.
hamster cheese supplies are low

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 07:18:05 pm »

nice one  :D

Far more mundane, but I *love* when my crossbowdwarves squad open fires on Keas and sever a wing.  I hate those thieves and the notion of them losing a wing and crashing to the earth pleases me.
There's something cathartic about watching a crossbow dwarf fire one bolt and seeing a bird corpse flop to the ground immediately after...

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:25:57 pm »

It's like a Koopa Troopa getting knocked out of its shell. And then being beaten to death. So basically it's Super Mario Bros.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:52:20 pm »

It's like a Koopa Troopa getting knocked out of its shell. And then being beaten to death. So basically it's Super Mario Bros.

If only the shell when it flew off struck a marksdwarf and hospitalized him.