Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trading dwarf sized armor w humans  (Read 1010 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
trading dwarf sized armor w humans
« on: January 06, 2015, 05:50:45 pm »

I don't want any large stuff. How can I set humans to the same size as my dwarfs (or vice cwrsa?) And what are the ramifications?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: trading dwarf sized armor w humans
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 07:13:23 pm »

The armor doesn't really check for the wearer's actual size.  Large armor is for humans.  Everything else is for dorf's, goblins/kobolds, and elves.  Size also doesn't matter for entrances.  A 4-story massive bronze collossus can stroll into your 1 tile high front entrance like its a walk in the park, afterall. 

I don't think you can alter the category of goods a caravan brings either.  They bring various types of items based on biome, but I don't think you can edit the rawrs to force humans to only carry "small" armor.  Successfully making your dorfs wear large armor would probably keep them from wearing anything you made in your fort.

Also... you can just buy up the large metal armor and melt it down into bars.  Then you just reforge from there.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:31:38 pm »

You'd need to set humans to the same size as dwarves which is 60,000. This would be modding which not everybdoy knows, so in case you don't I'll give exact instructions. In the Dwarf Fortress folder go to the raws folder, and then the objects folder. Then find the file called "creature_standard" open that up and you'll at first see the code for dwarves. Scroll down until you see the [CREATURE:HUMAN] which marks the start of the code for humans. In the code for humans you need to find the part that says [BODY_SIZE:12:0:70000] and change that 70000 to a 60000. The effects of this is that humans will be smaller. They'll be less effective in combat and will lose the ability to wield a lot of the larger weapons they have access to. If you don't play adventurer mode and never go to war with humans the only in game effect will be that if you get sieged while a human caravan is at your fort, the humans won't be able to help as much. However, you will need to be able to be okay with the idea of humans walking around being as small as dwarves which I could never do it's just too weird. Also there's not much point to using imported armor anyway a novice armorsmith will still make some -quality- items which are going to be better than no quality items and of course armorsmiths eventually become legendary+5 making masterworks more than not.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:36:16 pm »

Armors can be expensive(3 units of metal bars=1 breast plate, and you can only get 1 unit of bars after melting it) and humans sell their weapons twice as expensive. They also don't sell steel equipments. So maybe they are not a good source even for metals, unless you have too many spare goods/junks to throw at them.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:37:49 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:57:58 pm »

Well I often have no iron or copper  on map. Their no quality would be better than the leather and bone we wear now?

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:15:38 pm »

The armor doesn't really check for the wearer's actual size.  Large armor is for humans.  Everything else is for dorf's, goblins/kobolds, and elves. 

Minor nitpick - kobold wear is Small, and they can't share with normal-sized races either.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 11:15:01 pm »

I kind of like the idea of modding the game so that you could still wear the armor if it was the wrong size but it would perform worse, so you have humans running around with breastplates that leave their stomachs exposed and dwarves that can't dodge properly because they keep tripping on their human-sized chainmail...