Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to prevent dwarves from using real weapon made from steel in their trainings  (Read 1667 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi all!

How can I prevent dwarves from using real weapon made from steel in their trainings and make them using training weapons for such purpose instead? Will they do this automatically?

Thanks in advance.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont see any reason in training weapons in the first place, since dorves wont harm each others in training and if you need to react quickly to some threat they are immediately armed properly when they have the right gear to begin with. If you assign them training weapons via military menu (individually or as part of uniform) they tend to grow attached to those useless pieces of wood (although you can bypass this by assigning them new weapons in a previously mentioned manner).

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont see any reason in training weapons in the first place, since dorves wont harm each others in training and if you need to react quickly to some threat they are immediately armed properly when they have the right gear to begin with. If you assign them training weapons via military menu (individually or as part of uniform) they tend to grow attached to those useless pieces of wood (although you can bypass this by assigning them new weapons in a previously mentioned manner).

So training weapons are useless atm?

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile

As Kuikka said, there's no purpose on using training weapons, useless you want your dwarves to hit something that you don't want to kill to gain experience. What you should care about in sparing is that sometimes, the dwarf can "accidentally" grab his sparing partner and throw him straight up to the moon at someone or just throw him and cause some pretty nasty damage.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also what does this "attached to" phrase really mean? Will this dwarf unable to change his weapon for the whole life?

Guvnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can change it but he will be pissy.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A message like "Urist has grown attached to a ≡wooden training axe≡" might come after dorf has hold a weapon or shield long enough, meaning he likes to equip it and nothing else. I have seen people trying to re-assign them a proper weapon but then the Urist in question has carried the newly assigned real weapon (in his back?) while still holding the training axe in his right hand.

Summa summarum, training weapons are no good. I only assign those to fortress guards in case they want to punish innocent workers.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile

Well if you don't have metal you use training weapons to start your military. So they are not completely useless.
Otherwise you need to wait until you can produce real weapons.

Currently I'm using wooden weapons from the elves, until the steel bars from the mountainhome arrive.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

People here don't know what they're talking about, training weapons are great for militia training when you can't afford metal and live training on disarmed goblins and animals. You can easily make dwarves throw away attached items by assigning a uniform that replaces clothing.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile

People here don't know what they're talking about, training weapons are great for militia training when you can't afford metal and live training on disarmed goblins and animals. You can easily make dwarves throw away attached items by assigning a uniform that replaces clothing.

Except when they grow attached as mentioned earlier.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Somebodyelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only time I ever use training weapons is axes for woodcutting at embark since they're cheaper than real axes and spears for danger rooms.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile

I just replace the weapon when they grow attached (no individual choice allowed).
I saw someone strapped secondary weapon(s) over their upper body, but that was when I assigned them more than one weapons.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except when they grow attached as mentioned earlier.

Which has not once been a problem for me, they will quickly get over it unless you're doing something terribly wrong.