Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground Fisheries  (Read 1734 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Underground Fisheries
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:14:20 am »

Is it possible to make water underground connected to a body of water a valid fishing zone? I'm trying to create a fishery inside the fort to soak up some excess dwarfpower, and it doesn't seem to be enough to connect it to a stream on the surface, which is itself a valid fishing zone, via channels (it's depressurized with diagonal flow, which may or may not be relevant.) I've attempted this sort of thing in the past but never finished for one reason or another.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Underground Fisheries
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 07:31:27 am »

The only way to catch "river fish" is to fish from the exact tiles the river originally occupied; similarly, any other biome-specific fish can only be caught from tiles originally belonging to that biome. Any other body of water will be treated as a murky pool, so you'll just get stuff like pond turtles.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:33:36 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:47:23 am »

If you want a safe fishing zone, the best option is to build a sealed-from-outside building over the river. It's slightly easier with brooks because nothing can swim in from underneath. You can add some waterwheels in there and make it a powerhouse too, because why the heck not?
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 10:32:35 am »

If you want a safe fishing zone, the best option is to build a sealed-from-outside building over the river. It's slightly easier with brooks because nothing can swim in from underneath. You can add some waterwheels in there and make it a powerhouse too, because why the heck not?
You may also want to put grates or bars over the water (or a retracting bridge if you're particularly paranoid)... you know, just in case the trolls decide to take a dip in the river while you're hunkered down...

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 12:24:31 pm »

Or drain the river temporarily with powered pumps and build fortifications on the riverbed if you reeeeally want to be sure.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 01:35:49 pm »

Well damn, I had a whole big facility all set up and ready to go. C'est la vie, I guess. Maybe I can drain it and use it for grazing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:40:56 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.