Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mysterious Space - originally made for 7DRL in March  (Read 749 times)

telkoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I make games!
    • View Profile
    • BenMakesGames.com
Mysterious Space - originally made for 7DRL in March
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:05:59 pm »

first: screenshots! because those are exciting!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

second: download link! http://benmakesgames.itch.io/mysterious-space

third and finally: what is this thing!?

for the 2014 7DRL competition, I made a shooter called Mysterious Space. my goal was to combine an arcade-style shooter with rogue-like sensibilities, something I know that's been done before, but which I had never attempted myself.

the 7DRL release was awful, but I've continued to work on it since, adding explorable levels (planets!), instead of a fixed left-to-right progression, for example, and even a little leveling-up (after a fashion).

procedurally-generated weapons and "the potion identification game" already existed in the 7DRL release, but I also spent time taking these systems further, adding things like bouncing bullets, shields that explode with bullets when low, armor that boosts your weapon speed when it takes damage, and whatever other interesting interactions I could think of.

ANYWAY: I'd love to get some other ideas for development... I feel like it's dangerous to just come up with all the ideas myself: it's easy to forget what things are like for a new player, or to get locked in certain lines of thought, unable to see the larger picture, etc.

thanks! and I hope someone's able to have fun with it!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:20:55 pm by telkoth »

telkoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I make games!
    • View Profile
    • BenMakesGames.com
Re: Mysterious Space - originally made for 7DRL in March
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 06:27:16 pm »

in the last month, despite christmas, I have made several more improvements to the game. I was able to get some feedback from some people on the Temple of the Roguelike forums, as well as from some friends, and even my dad, who is terrible at video games.

he died a lot...

anyway, I've totally redone the sector map, and how you explore it, even adding secret paths (although the keys to unlocking them are not that interesting... I will improve on that later!)

I've also added unlockable ships, tons of new equipment (of course), reworked various enemies, and added a couple new planet types.