Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McMiller has been missing for a week  (Read 1466 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Urist McMiller has been missing for a week
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:20:46 pm »

The Miller's right upper leg takes the full force of the impact and the part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!

I checked gamelog.txt and it seemed he slipped while removing a u/d stairs on top of a tower.
For some reason, no one has found his corpse yet, which is now lying on the ground near the basement of the tower.

Is there any reason why he fell? Or is that a random feature? I recall removing stairs was safe, at least I didn't see an accident before.

The red one is the stairs he removed.

z=114

....#
....#
.x+x+
....#
....#

z=115

....+
....+
.x.x+
....+
....+

+ = floor
# = wall
x = stairs
. = open space
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McMiller has been missing for a week
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:17:24 pm »

Not a 100% sure if this is the cause in this case, but I believe if you fall over a stairway you fall all the way down, ignoring any stairs on the way down. I've had problems with this in the past when my dwarves dodged over my 50 z-level main staircase and gibbed at the bottom.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:47:43 pm »

May have stood on the floor next to the stair to remove it and then slipped trying to climb (or jump or whatever) down when there's no wall below his floor. You could try repeating it on a backup save with that particular gap under the place they stand and also with a wall instead, could be a bug. It's supposed to be safe if you deconstruct in the right order.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:55:48 pm »

Not a 100% sure if this is the cause in this case, but I believe if you fall over a stairway you fall all the way down, ignoring any stairs on the way down. I've had problems with this in the past when my dwarves dodged over my 50 z-level main staircase and gibbed at the bottom.

I didn't have this problem. My previous fort had similar high towers (150 z all the way to the semi melted stone layer).
The dorfs in the barracks actually dodged into the stairs quite frequently, but they never fell.
They only fell when they dodged into walls (I think that was what you meant). When that happened they were teleported out of the walls and died.

May have stood on the floor next to the stair to remove it and then slipped trying to climb (or jump or whatever) down when there's no wall below his floor. You could try repeating it on a backup save with that particular gap under the place they stand and also with a wall instead, could be a bug. It's supposed to be safe if you deconstruct in the right order.
Yeah. He could also be scared by some bird, maybe.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:12:59 am »

Probably, the important thing is if they are considered falling, stairs will not catch them.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:31 am »

I put hatches every few levels in my staircases out of paranoia that this might happen.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:42:37 am »

I put hatches every few levels in my staircases out of paranoia that this might happen.

Not a bad idea, at least you can quickly lock down if something sneaked into your fort.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:10 am »

Not a bad idea, at least you can quickly lock down if something sneaked into your fort.

Well its not that brilliant considering dwarves sometimes fall through the stairs under if they are going to them through hatches.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:14:41 am »

I tried that on another tower. No problem. The dorfs stood on the tile below the stair while removing it.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:05 am »

Well its not that brilliant considering dwarves sometimes fall through the stairs under if they are going to them through hatches.

No, only ramps have that problem. I use hatch-covered stairs all the time and haven't seen a single "falling down the stairs" accident.

An opening hatch leaves the "tile feature" behind. In the case of stairs, that's still a stair, which people can stand on without trouble. In the case of ramps, that's "down ramp", which is actually open space, causing the affected dwarf to fall down.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 06:23:12 pm »

Dorfs sometimes act stupidly, They are climbing to take down stairs. Sometimes They like sleep on stairs... and this is causing traveling down very fast... splash...

When i saw it first time, i start using hatches every 3 z-levels of stairs. One death in sairs maze (caused by dodge, because my dog was tring to bite my dorf in crowded place).
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »

For some reason, no one has found his corpse yet, which is now lying on the ground near the basement of the tower.

The other dwarves need a reason to go there - create some small job to send a dwarf nearby.  The corpse will be seen and another one will go pick it up and put it in a coffin (if any are available).
hamster cheese supplies are low

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 07:26:51 pm »

Yeah, a tree was blocing the site I guess. He was found several days after that.

Dorf1: Hey, you hear that loud bang?
Dorf2: Yeah, stupid Urist McMiller must have dropped his building materials again.
Dorf1: Oh, the lad who slipped on a soap and broke his nose? Hehe, no wonder.