Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapping fliers  (Read 1501 times)

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trapping fliers
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:47:52 am »

Good idea: Creating a large predator for good-aligned regions.
Bad idea: Making the fucker able to fly.

Seriously, I've been having huge troubles getting these things to even come near my trapping platforms.  So far I've been trying to use this following, very simple trapping platform:

OOX
OOX

with the top layer being

OO^
OO^

and that's caught plenty of ravens and keas, but only ever one of the modded creatures (and I accidentally deleted that world, grr)

I've heard of using kittens and puppies as bait, but they don't seem to work - the targets just dance circles around the trapping platform, deliberately paying them no mind.  Supposedly grates can be seen through, so I've started putting grates on the z-layer above the traps, but still, no luck.  The modded creatures just don't seem drawn to the bait the way large predators apparently should be.  Should I be using something larger?

This is the trap build I'm attempting next:

OO
##
OO

I think I might have to alternate floors and grates, seeing as you can't build on grates.  Nonetheless, the idea is that there will be multiple z-levels of cage traps, and eventually the target will have to fly through one of them at some point.  The easiest thing would be to just remove the flier tag, since that's what's causing all this trouble, but considering that the creature is half eagle, that would kill the flavor a lot.

Has anyone got any ideas, or any secrets for capturing fliers, especially ones that like to stay in the top 5-10 z-levels of the map and pretty much never touch the ground?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Trapping fliers
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 05:13:24 pm »

It is possible that you have to put the bait animal lower, so that the flier needs to get closer. I think that's only for fliers which attack from close range, though. If it has distance weapons, then I guess you're out of luck.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 08:45:46 pm »

I've been trying to use bigger platforms with more traps, but with no success.  They see the traps, see the bait, and just ignore it completely.  It's not about getting closer - they refuse to even go within 5 tiles of the damned things.  Multi-tiered traps haven't worked either.  The only thing I can think of is literally making staggered "stripes" of floor going across 10 different z-levels, each square trapped, and that's not only going to take forever, but it will also probably be hell on my FPS.  This is getting very, very frustrating.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:52:44 pm »

Before trying that you must first be sure to make that creature a large predator.
If it's just a large herbivore or otherwise tame creature it won't actively path to your bait, not even if two tiles away from it.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:13:13 pm »

Oh, it is a large predator, but that hasn't helped at all.  I'm going to go ahead and post the raws, in case something's amiss here:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:AQUILOUP]
[DESCRIPTION:A wolf-like creature with an eagle's broad wings and razor-sharp talons instead of paws.  It can be seen flying high above the virtuous temperate lands.]
[NAME:aquiloup:aquiloups:aquiloup]
[CASTE_NAME:aquiloup:aquiloups:aquiloups]
[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:aquiloup pup:aquiloup pups]
[CREATURE_TILE:'A'][COLOR:7:0:1]
[LARGE_PREDATOR][MEANDERER]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:50]
[BIOME:TUNDRA]
[BIOME:FOREST_TAIGA]
[BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE_FOREST]
[BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
[BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:10:20]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:0][NATURAL]
[PETVALUE:1000]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[TRAINABLE]
[GOOD]
[FLIER]
[MOUNT_EXOTIC]
[FANCIFUL]
[BONECARN]
[PREFSTRING:elaborate courtship flights]
[PREFSTRING:noble features]
[PREFSTRING:devoted parenting]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK:2WINGS:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4TOES_FQ_REG:4TOES_RQ_REG:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[BODYGLOSS:TALON]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[SELECT_TISSUE:HAIR]
[INSULATION:200]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FEATHER_FEATHER_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FEATHER:FEATHER_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:WING]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TALON:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:TALON:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:TALON:FRONT]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
[PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT]
[TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RIBCAGE_POSITIONS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:20000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:100000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:200000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[MAXAGE:20:40]
[ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK:SCRATCH:CHILD_TISSUE_LAYER_GROUP:BY_TYPE:STANCE:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:NAIL]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:claw:claws]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[DIURNAL]
[HOMEOTHERM:10070]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_QUADRUPED_GAITS:900:447:298:149:1900:2900] 59 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 5 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 5 kph
[SWIMS_INNATE]
[MUNDANE]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1:SILVER:1:PEARL:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:fur and feathers:PLURAL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BROWN:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_PEACH:1:DARK_TAN:1:ECRU:1:PALE_BROWN:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:PALE_PINK:1:PEACH:1:PINK:1:RAW_UMBER:1:SEPIA:1:TAN:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_AMBER:1:ORANGE:1:GOLD:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[MULTIPLY_VALUE:4]

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 06:19:30 pm »

Well, it's a quite large creature... It isn't pathing actively to your cat? If not I think my advice can't go beyond here, it should go kill the cat since it's a large predator and is bigger than the cat. More dakka?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 09:52:07 pm »

Make a room with a roof, where one side is accesible by your dorf (by door) and and other one by tile with cage trap.

OOOOO
^^.$.D
OOOOO

Because roof, your creature will be forced to land on trap to get a bait... (edit: but looking at raws it will not be intrested by it, sorry)
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 12:04:45 pm »

I'm not sure I've ever seen [LARGE_PREDATOR] and [MEANDERER] in the same creature.  The latter tag makes the creature just wander around at random, so it probably won't attack unless it happens to end up in a tile adjacent to a smaller creature.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 07:25:13 pm »

Well, that'll do it.  I was wondering why they weren't going after the bait.  Looks like I'll have to adjust the raws accordingly and re-gen worlds.  Thanks, I was seriously going bonkers!

On the bright side, that made catching my first breeding pair and the birth of their pup all the sweeter.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 07:51:08 am »

I'm pretty sure that you won't have to re-gen. If the creature is already in your world, and you don't change body parts, it should adjust any new creatures that come onto the map completely, and it may adjust creatures already on the map. The dwarven childcare thread notes an occasion where failing to take the first part of this into account created Dog Bone Doctors.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 02:32:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you won't have to re-gen. If the creature is already in your world, and you don't change body parts, it should adjust any new creatures that come onto the map completely, and it may adjust creatures already on the map. The dwarven childcare thread notes an occasion where failing to take the first part of this into account created Dog Bone Doctors.
Individual creatures seem to be recorded as deviations from the norm of their creature type.  For example, a one-handed human would be recorded as "missing right hand" and not "has a left hand."  Therefore, if you mod on an additional pair of arms, this individual would have three hands instead of one.

In short, just mod a copy of the save and see what happens.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map