Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with the double slit method for the aquifer  (Read 2034 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with the double slit method for the aquifer
« on: January 02, 2015, 06:30:42 am »

Hi all!

I'm trying to understand the double-slit method for the aquifer layers and I've encountered problem here.

I've embarked on a location with aquifer layers and notice that there are two layers of it (via '.' button press and look for the "Damp" tiles below). I've done all of requirements from the guide but then I tried to dig up-down stairs on the first non-aquifer level miner says that damp stone located and this level gets flooded to the 4/7 water. Why? Is it ok? I'm sure that this level didn't say "Damp" when I checked it for the aquifer's size.

Thanks in advance.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with the double slit method for the aquifer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:42:50 am »

Remaining water from the level above probably fell down, pump it out if you can or just mine down into an adjacent tile, if it's only 4/7 there is no aquifer flowing into it
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 06:46:23 am »

Remaining water from the level above probably fell down, pump it out if you can or just mine down into an adjacent tile, if it's only 4/7 there is no aquifer flowing into it

I am unable to dig nearby tiles because there's 4/7 water.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 05:00:17 pm »

Did you use the hatch method to prevent water from getting in?

If you did, and there's a hatch there "preventing" water: I find that the times that this "it's half full of water" thing happens to me is when I forgot to dig down about ten z's of updown staircase. The just-below-aquifer level gets dug, then the dwarf has nothing else to do down there in the hole, so he opens the hatch and leaves, leaking water into the updown he's dug so far. You've got to lock him in there when he goes down (which I do because I'm mean) and get him to dig dig dig because even one use of the hatch to get out (and another use of the hatch to get back in) is too many uses of the hatch, and too much water gets through.

You might need to pump out the other side of your staircase, install a new floor hatch, and this time make sure the dwarf doesn't come out until he's 10 z-levels under the aquifer. Then you can go up one z, and dig a drain for the aquifer to the wall at 9 z-levels under the aquifer. The 10th one fills with a unit or two of water, but that doesn't matter, as the drain is being dug in the dry. Plus it means you can let more miners in to dig, or at least that's what I do.

Hope this helps.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:12:13 pm »

I haven't been able to get the u/d stairs to drain water at all. I see in youtube videos that the water drains down stairs, but my staircases just fill up without draining at all. I end up having to do "bottom level" work on each level. I believe I can "fix" this by channeling the North (or South) end of the slits, but that's hardly part of the instructions and it will definitely come back to bite me later.

Is it known that some FPS will mess with draining water? Would it help if I played through Aquifer levels with 2D or STANDARD graphics, or not make a difference? Has anything with staircases and drainage changed from .34 to .40? I'll admit I succeeded only a couple times with .34 because it was such a hassle, but at least my staircases drained as expected.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 11:21:08 pm »

Stairs have water flowing down them for me, but I play practically vanilla DF, with no extra stuff, and barely any init changes... so I have no idea what you're referring to with the whole 2D comment I fear (Dwarf Fortress comes in 3D? When the hell did that happen?).

I guess, on contemplation, that the answer would be yes, seeing as draining out of the staircase works for me, on my standard game? I'm playing the version which came out just before Christmas, and I pierced three or so layers of aquifer with minimal issues.

Also, I use this method for piercing my aquifer: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pump-stack_method So perhaps that's the reason: I'm not actually using the double slit method when I thought I was. Whoops. I never checked the name of the method in question.

(Edit: additional info)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:22:53 pm by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 11:45:13 am »

I just recently pierced a 7 layer aquifer using the double slit method, having never successfully done it before.

I watched, and followed exactly, WanderingKid's youtube video on the matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzdUw92pXH4
.  It may help you find a mistake in your method.

In the meantime, let me see if I have this scenario straight.

You started the double slit method.  You dug an up-down stair, stepped through it, and inspected the tile it revealed below to reveal it is, again, part of the aquifer.  So at least a 2 layer aquifer.  Then you started the method.  Dug some stairs, built a pump, channeled a bit, began pumping, and went through the entire process for a two layer aquifer.  Then, with a relatively dry bottom, you dug into the first non-aquifer layer below and.. it filled to 4/7 water. 

Let's assume it was part of the aquifer, and instead it filled up to 7/7.  That would mean you did not gauge the size of the aquifer correctly.  Part of the double slit method is, when digging down into the last known aquifer layer, to step through using . and inspect the tile below it.  For every new layer.  Only when it does not show Damp will it be the last layer, though even that is not a sure thing (like running into a vein of ore).  Not gauging the aquifer depth would also explain why you are doing the bottom sealing for every level; you think every level is the last when it is not.

The alternate case is if it truly was the last level, the level you dug into was dry, and water poured down from some area above and filled it 4/7 only.  In which case it is easy to pump out, though how 4 units of water flowed into the hole in the first place is the real question.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 04:25:41 pm »

Roche, it sounds like you're merging OP with my concern. I don't have the 4/7 problem. I've watched a bunch of aquifer videos, and DFWanderingKid is the only one with good presentation skills, so you picked a good example. I am not thinking that every level is the final aquifer level. I know you're not trying to insult anyone, but if I get through three levels of "final" level, then I'm going to assume that is my problem and not continue to assume stairwell draining is the issue.

The problem I'm having is that the u/d stairs are not letting water fall through them fast enough for the tile to drain itself. Every aquifer video I've watched uses stairwells to drain from upper levels to lower levels of aquifer. About 5 minutes into DFWanderingKid's video, you will see this happen for him. It does not happen for me. If I am mistaking a 2-level aquifer for a 3-level aquifer, I can see this happening, but I've never had the patience to go past 3-levels since I did it the first time. For the sake of argument, I have single-frame stepped through to verify if the next level is an aquifer level; but I have a question: does a dry tile become damp when water accumulates on it? I don't believe there is a point to single-frame stepping through the exploratory dig, because nowhere does it state why doing that is important. Unless a dry tile becomes damp, it is irrelevant to step through digging. (I can embark a test site to verify that situation. I'll update as appropriate.)

PS Thisfox, the modes I was referring to are the drawing methods. Even though Dwarf Fortress is a 3D game, it's drawn in 2D with only one z-level viewable at a time. It's kind of the opposite of modern side-scrolling platformers, a 2D game that is drawn in a 3D environment. Using the STANDARD draw method is theoretically faster, but I have no idea why. Documentation for how the game works is decent, but the source code is not.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 10:06:00 pm »

If i understand you, yes, if you have water on tile, all sorrouning tiles are "wet" too (dump stone), but They will come back to normal dry state when you pump out water. Double slit method is harder to make now, with new digging system, because dwarfs are acting akward. Try search for /Piercing a multi-layer aquifer using fast twin-slit method/ vid on youtube, it kicked for me..
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.