Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weaponize Poisons  (Read 1796 times)

Carolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weaponize Poisons
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:26:09 am »

Hello DF community!
I have read a couple of post lately about posions. First, some people noticed weapons can and will get poison coating (from FBs in their case). I have tried to mod (a GCS), but it didn't work. The goal: a neat little creature which I can use (via the butcher's Extract from animal as I recall) to stock up on poison. The deadliest venom what I saw since I play was a barrel of bumblebee venom which the tree humping hippies brought along  :P
I've done some research and the creature itself wouldn't be hard, but I cannot use correctly the complex tokens.
The other methods I found on the forum:
-get a poisonous FB, tie it up, somehow anger it to coat the weapons
-the extraction, i mentioned before and dump the poison on weapons
-reaction to make poison coated weapons (as an item not a weapon contaminated with poison) but it isn't working because the materials are inert
-some other workaround I haven't found

Your help will be really appreciated! (Haven't you dreamed about shooting the gobbos with poison coated bone bolts?  :D )

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:27:58 am by Carolus »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponize Poisons
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:34:58 am »

Since you are in the modding section, check DFHack. It has a script which allows you to coat weapons/items with anything. You can find an example in my Genesis Reborn or in Masterwork mods.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Carolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 12:18:41 pm »

Thanks! I check it out, but I'd like to do it without huge mods (DF alone is overwhelming for a nearly intermediate player like me) and without cheating (dfhack is the most useful mod for me, it's fun to mess around with it but for serious playing it's bugfixes and tweaks the best not the cheating). My idea was, to capture some snakes and extract their venom like one can extract liquid fire from the fire snakes.
But, fire snakes are vermin they use the small animal dissector job, I wonder if I can mod the reaction, so it accepts other creatures not only vermin. However I don't know how to do it and the raw of the reaction is hidden somewhere and I haven't find it. Wouldn't you be so kind to explain me how to do it? Or is it hardcoded?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:22:42 pm »

You don't need huge mods for that. You just need dfhack and the script.

I only mentioned those mods to take a look at the way it's done.

You can simply add a butcherable item called "poison gland", and then make a reaction to apply the poison to items. That's how I've done in Genesis.

An easier way is to have a plant with a poison (btw the "poison gland" was a plant which did not grow anywhere).
An example:

[REACTION:SPATTER_ADD_WEAPON_BITTER]
   [NAME:coat spear - bitterroot poison]
   [BUILDING:COATING_VAT:NONE]
   [REAGENT:extract:150:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [MIN_DIMENSION:150]
      [REACTION_CLASS:BITTERROOT_POISON]
   [REAGENT:extract container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [CONTAINS:extract]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
      [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [REAGENT:object:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR:NONE:NONE]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   The probability is used as spatter size; Legendary gives +90%:
   COVERED = liquid, GLAZED = solid, BANDS = paste, SPIKES = powder
   [IMPROVEMENT:800:object:COVERED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:extract:NONE]
   [SKILL:WAX_WORKING]

Again, for this to work you need to initialize dfhack scripts.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:25:45 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Carolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 12:26:14 pm »

Okay, now I got it. Thanks for the answer.

kirmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:37:54 pm »

i also seem to remember that you can make weapon stockpiles in areas of already thrown deadly dust, have your dwarves have gloves and boots, and when they pick up the weapons, they convey dust-syndrome, which depending on the forgotten beast can cause mild nausea to immediate necrosis of the everything. I think one of the more famous succesion forts used it  with a nasty syndrome to make pretty much any foe affectable by syndrome a complete wipeout because they'd only need a single hit each before falling shortly after.