Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Broken War animals, insane military, ect...  (Read 3638 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Broken War animals, insane military, ect...
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 01:48:18 pm »

The reason for the low ground-level FPS is definitely the layers of spatter. The computer has to sort through all of them since they determine how each tile is drawn - probably every graphical frame given how much of a difference it makes. Decrease your G_FPS or get DFHack and clean often. I have mine at 10; I have a gaming laptop, so I'm semi-used to fancy things, but I don't even mind the low level. 100 calculation fps is way too sweet :)

Another thing that might help, for the same reason, is decreasing the window size you play with. It didn't help me much without the G_FPS trick, so I'm back to fullscreen.

And I definitely second the small world/short history/2x2 embark advice. 2x2 means you might not have candy, but it's worth it for the fps. Rarely have I ever built anything that actually requires more than a 2x2 embark size. I'm doing a megaproject above-ground fortress on 2x2, working out fine.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 03:49:35 pm »

I have also observed that tame large predators are weak.
That's really crappy... I wonder what the explanation is for that.

Probably something to do with skills and attributes.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 04:45:27 pm »

I'm starting to think I should be sticking to 34.11
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 05:12:34 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8250

apparently, the "military stands around doing nothing" bug at the very least will be fixed in 40.24

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 07:03:02 pm »

I find 40.23 to be almost as playable as 30.11, so long as I embark  next to a necromancer to provide the fun the goblins aren't. .. plus now there is zombinite to replace goblinite. Also I test my forts early on for the military bug... if they have it, I regen the world, if not, full stea ahead.

And another tip for the new version: you absolutely have to build your walls from blocks. For example, my main keep is blocks, the first freestanding tower I half built is copper bars. I say half built because it is filled with zombies that climbed the roof and slaughtered the garrison, while the rest of my marksmen shot from the not yet fortified keep roof with impunity
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »

If you don't mind dialing back to 40.19, I use the the DF starter pack/LNP. It should help with at least some problems, things like "bugfixes" and "performance tweaks" under the DFhack tab should help framerate and perhaps fix some of the bugs:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 11:55:34 pm »

I find 40.23 to be almost as playable as 30.11, so long as I embark  next to a necromancer to provide the fun the goblins aren't. .. plus now there is zombinite to replace goblinite. Also I test my forts early on for the military bug... if they have it, I regen the world, if not, full stea ahead.

And another tip for the new version: you absolutely have to build your walls from blocks. For example, my main keep is blocks, the first freestanding tower I half built is copper bars. I say half built because it is filled with zombies that climbed the roof and slaughtered the garrison, while the rest of my marksmen shot from the not yet fortified keep roof with impunity

I pretty much always use blocks cause of the 4 to 1 conversion rate from boulders. Do they have a special trait that makes them better for walls though?
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 04:34:20 pm »

I pretty much always use blocks cause of the 4 to 1 conversion rate from boulders. Do they have a special trait that makes them better for walls though?
They are harder to climb, making it much easier to keep your fortress safe when you surround yourself with walls...
Pages: 1 [2]