Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The king has arrived with his pet goblin...  (Read 1061 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
The king has arrived with his pet goblin...
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:52:48 am »

The monarch of my goblin-governed civ turned out to be a perfectly ordinary dwarf (what a disappointment!). The outpost liaison is an honest-to-Armok goblin, however:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He showed up as a "tamed creature" on my unit list, which meant that I could put him on a restraint at will. So far I've kept him chained up in the dining hall like a trained monkey, and to my delight, I see that this just treatment has made him feel guilty about his own detestable existence. He's also annoyed about sleeping rough, but shows no signs of starvation or other discontent (Toady should really make goblins feel the pain of gnawing hunger). I wonder what I should do with him...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The king has arrived with his pet goblin...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 05:54:38 am »

Add [TRAINABLE]* and assign him to the King, obviously.

*I somehow doubt you can just do that for sapients.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 06:51:56 am »

I suspect that [TRAINABLE] by itself would not do the trick. The liaison does not appear on the "animals" tab: he is a citizen, despite being listed as "tame." You would have to add [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] to goblins, and that would probably have some unpredictable consequences.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 07:59:10 am »

Goblins don't need to eat or drink at all, to ensure they alwawys survive world gen, IIRC
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 08:21:47 am »

...and removing the [NO_DRINK] and [NO_EAT] tokens would result in goblins starving en route to your fortress. The lazy buggers should learn to bring their own supplies with them!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 08:37:10 am »

It's not uncommon to have liaisons or even nobles that are goblins.  Indicates war and conquest in world-gen. He could very well have been born into the civ fair and square, despite being pointy-eared and green.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 10:01:54 am »

Sarvesh "looks like a 252-year-old," and according to legends, he was "one of the first of his kind" (it is now year 130). My civ was not conquered by goblins before 81, so he cannot have been born a citizen. Nevertheless, he has a dwarven name and a professed respect for dwarven values... Does this mean that historical figures are created anachronistically according to the current state of the civilization?       

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:16:05 am »

Make him a military commander (it's possible non civil species member can be assigned to be nobles, but nothing else) and have your goblin kill goblins.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:28:50 am »

Make him a military commander (it's possible non civil species member can be assigned to be nobles, but nothing else) and have your goblin kill goblins.

Excellent idea! I'll outfit him in full steel armor, and since he's immune to hunger and tantrums, he can effortlessly spend the rest of his life killing goblins and cave trolls.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:57 am »

Dwarves have a + to strength, toughness, analytical ability, creativity, patience and memory, a - to agility, and a ++ to focus and spatial sense. Goblins have a + to strength, recuperation, and disease resistance,  a ++ to be endurance, willpower, and social awareness, a -- to creativity and intuition, a --- to empathy, and an incredibly high would probably be considered a +++++++ memory. So the downside to a goblin soldier is that they have less spatial sense and less toughness, but they have more endurance, more agility, more recuperation, infinite memory, and don't die of old age. So overall they're about equal, but goblins end up ahead in the long term with their memory and long lives.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:26:19 am »

It turns out he doesn't know how to pick up equipment, so I sent him to scout the caverns in his plain clothes. Luckily for him, the trolls and ogres are not hostile towards him, and he doesn't show the slightest inclination to attack them. His current thoughts are: "Why should I help?" 

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 01:26:54 pm »

It turns out he doesn't know how to pick up equipment, so I sent him to scout the caverns in his plain clothes. Luckily for him, the trolls and ogres are not hostile towards him, and he doesn't show the slightest inclination to attack them. His current thoughts are: "Why should I help?"
That's strange. Maybe the animals are okay with the goblins because they're both [EVIL]? Did you make sure to activate the goblin's squad and check if the assigned equipment exists in your fortress? It'd be disappointing if he just died because he can't equip anything. He can still become a master wrestler at least.