Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd sculpture  (Read 1429 times)

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd sculpture
« on: December 29, 2014, 04:36:14 pm »

I when bored, decided to atom smash a dwarf (Olin ParchedFlag) with a drawbridge. As we could expect a dwarf ended up smashed. Several poor merchants later I decided to set up a sculpture garden. One of the sculptures read about poor Olin ParchedFlag underneath a bridge, cringing in the early winter of 48. So it seems our dwarfs remember our experiments.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Odd sculpture
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »

Huh. In the past, there was no trace of the dwarf, definitely not in sculptures or similar. This could have alarming implications.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 04:41:37 pm »

Dwarves have made scultures of events for a very long time. I've had forts where there only seemed to be endless statues of when a dorf starved to death. Cheery stuff.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »

I when bored, decided to atom smash a dwarf (Olin ParchedFlag) with a drawbridge. As we could expect a dwarf ended up smashed. Several poor merchants later I decided to set up a sculpture garden. One of the sculptures read about poor Olin ParchedFlag underneath a bridge, cringing in the early winter of 48. So it seems our dwarfs remember our experiments.
Yes, dwarves remember things. It's very easy to see, when you have only 7 starting dwarfs, all engravings and statues will be related to this, what happend in frotress. Sometimes, your manson see how vampire in your frotress killd somebody and he will make statue about it...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »

If you look at legends mode you'll see "crushed by a drawbridge".

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »

So I will have to find a more creative way to kill the witnesses? Lava?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:17:43 pm »

That gets recorded as burned to death, I believe. I think the only thing you can do is to set up a system of secondary bridges or doors to stop witnesses from seeing the event.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 12:54:29 am »

Once an event is seen, it cannot be unseen, even if the witness is killed befor he meets anyone eolse.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 01:09:15 am »

Dwarves have made scultures of events for a very long time. I've had forts where there only seemed to be endless statues of when a dorf starved to death. Cheery stuff.
My fortress is settled in the place where I had an adventurer starve to death, and so all the statues are of her shriveled up...
And no one saw her die.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 12:00:15 pm »

Yeah, i think seeing it only matters for dwarven thoughts. To become part of the historical lore from which engravings and art draw, the immediate witness (a.k.a. the victim) is entirely enough.

(Cue massive efforts trying to murder a dwarf without the dwarf themselves noticing.)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:08:00 pm »

Yeah, i think seeing it only matters for dwarven thoughts. To become part of the historical lore from which engravings and art draw, the immediate witness (a.k.a. the victim) is entirely enough.

(Cue massive efforts trying to murder a dwarf without the dwarf themselves noticing.)

Can you use a bridgapault to throw them off the edge of the map?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 12:35:48 pm »

Maybe if you knock them uncounscious first?